Senior Software Development Engineer
About the Service Reliability Team
Our Team is responsible for the architecture, development and management of the full cloud infrastructure that drives RMS’ SaaS offering. We own the entire cloud delivery platform and lifecycle. That means we deliver the systems that
drive code management, builds, deployments, testing, releases, monitoring, telemetry and other aspects of live site. We are continually building new infrastructure and also improving on it. In short, we are responsible for developing the entire stack of high performance, large scale, multi-cloud, geographically dispersed resources throughout its lifecycle.
If you are the kind of developer who loves infrastructure, and:
- Can pick up new cloud technologies and computer languages with ease
- Not only can author Terraform scripts and understand Kubernetes, but the idea of learning enough about them to also contribute code to their GitHub repos excites you
- The phrase “building elegant, scalable code” speaks to you
- Want to do this in a fast-paced yet fun-filled environment with other developers that have the same passion
We would love to talk to you.
About the Role – Senior Software Development Engineer
As a Senior Software Development Engineer, you will you be expected to be a full life cycle engineer. You will present designs, perform peer code reviews and work collaboratively with your team. In this role, you will drive the design and implementation of core features. You will also have experience presenting and explaining your technical solutions to solve business challenges. This is a hands-on position where you will own everything from the design and building of components, delivery of quality code, and ensuring that the platform code and services work flawlessly all the way to the production environments. You need to be a top developer with excellent programming skills and a stellar record of customer obsession.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, Electrical Engineering or similar
- 5+ years of professional programming experience with a proven track record of on-time delivery
- Production programming experience object-oriented languages such as Java, C#, or software development with any strongly typed language
- Experience with cloud infrastructure technologies such as Kubernetes, Terraform, Consul, Etc.
- Working experience with Microservice Architectures and
- Working experience with cloud platforms (public or private) such as Azure, Google Cloud, AWS
- Demonstrable skills in analytic computing and algorithms
- Demonstrable understanding of advanced programming concepts such as multi-threading, memory management, and query processing
- Passion for finding and solving problems
- Excellent communication skills, proven ability to convey complex ideas to others in a concise and clear manner
There’s a 1% chance an earthquake will cause $50 billion of insured loss within the next 12 months and a 5% chance that a hurricane will cause $60 billion of insured losses next year. At RMS, we turn risks into real numbers. How? By building simulation models that allow insurers and investors to understand and manage their global risks--from hurricanes, quakes, and wildfires, to cyberattacks, terror attacks, and pandemics. Why? We want to build a more resilient world, and we’re on a mission to help make every risk known.
Insurers, reinsurers, investors, financial institutions, governments, and NGOs trust RMS solutions to better understand and manage catastrophe risks. RMS was founded in 1989 by Stanford scientists who created our first model for California Earthquake. Today, RMS has some 1,300 employees across 13 offices in the US, London, Bermuda, Zurich, India, China, Japan, Singapore, and Australia, and over 1,000 products and models now covering six continents.
RMS helped pioneer the natural catastrophe model market we now lead – and we continue to innovate. In May 2019, we announced RMS Risk Intelligence™ (RI), an open-standard platform for strategic risk management. Through this purpose-built platform, clients can tap into RMS HD models, rich data layers, intuitive applications and APIs that simply integrate into existing enterprise systems to support business decisions across underwriting, risk selection, mitigation, and portfolio management.
How we understand and manage risk affects everyone and our passion is nothing less than creating a more resilient world through a better understanding of catastrophic events. Join our team of leading scientists, developers, industry experts, and world-class professionals. Together, RMSers make a difference on a truly global scale.
RMS is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, creed, gender, religion, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic characteristics, sexual orientation, or any other classification protected by applicable local, state, or federal law.
To all recruitment agencies: RMS does not accept unsolicited agency resumes and will not be responsible for the payment of placement fees related to unsolicited resumes submitted to open positions, job aliases, or to our employees.
California Consumer Privacy Act notice: https://www.rms.com/legal#Privacy-Policy-ccpa
US Applicants: RMS is enrolled in E-Verify® and will be participating in E-Verify in addition to using our Form I-9 process. www.dhs.gov/E-Verify