Principal Software Development Engineer
Principal Software Development Engineer (Job #)
About RMS Bellevue
RMS is building a cutting-edge risk management platform for the global risk market, enabling RMS’ clients to share, discover, and consume Petabytes of risk modeling and insurance data to produce big insights. This platform is known as Risk Intelligence.
The RMS Risk Intelligence SaaS platform enables software engineering teams at RMS to produce world-class risk models, and empowers our customers to consume and integrate the resulting analytical data in their business processes.
About the RMS AI/ML Team
The Office of the Chief Software Architect is growing its AI and ML team in Bellevue.
The AI/ML Team's mission is to advance the state of the art of catastrophe risk modeling using the latest AI techniques.
The team’s charter is to develop algorithms, processes, and solutions that apply latest advances in artificial intelligence to provide faster, more accurate, and actionable risk models for RMS' list of enterprise software products.
The AI/ML Team develops full-stack AI solutions, from researching new ideas through implementation and integration into existing SaaS products.
This AI/ML Team contributes to multiple impactful areas including:
- Hybrid AI + Physics modeling
- Remote sensing and computer vision workflows
- Distributed high-performance numerical computing
- Multi-variable non-linear optimization
- Data Mining and Natural Language Processing
Principal Software Development Engineer
The RMS AI/ML Team is looking for a Principal Engineer to join a growing team of smart and passionate team-minded engineers. We are looking for highly-motivated, curious, and enterprising developers with track record of solving complex problems using AI and shipping production-quality software at scale with passion for performance and quality.
As a Principal Engineer the expectation is that you can drive solutions from end-to-end in a fast-paced, ambiguous, agile, SaaS engineering environment. You will contribute to design, architecture and strategy as well as development. You should be able to work independently, juggling multiple items concurrently while contributing to multiple areas within a large software project. You must be able to dive into any existing code as keeping live-site fully operational is always a priority. Your technical ability and leadership will manifest in the wide-ranging scope and far-reaching scale of your impact. You will mentor junior engineers and advise principal engineers and directors while interacting comfortably with other team members along the way.
Required Skills and Experience:
- 10+ years of programming experience; proven track record of on-time delivery
- Experience writing production-level code in Java, C#, C++ or Scala
- Experience with a machine learning tools, such as PyTorch, Tensorflow, Scikit-Learn, ML .NET, SageMaker or equivalent
- Experience with cloud-native development (AWS, Azure, GCP etc.)
- Ability to convey complex ideas to others in a concise and clear manner
- Demonstrable knowledge of the classical data structures and an understanding of how to classify algorithms for their runtime and space-time complexity
- Demonstrable skills in analytic computing and algorithms
- Demonstrable knowledge of programming concepts such as multi-threading, memory management, and query processing
- Prior history with agile development
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- 15+ years of experience
- Experience in performance tuning, bottleneck analysis, and resource usage monitoring
- Experience with containerization (Docker or Kubernetes etc.)
- Experience with distributing processing
- Familiarity with probabilistic and stochastic computational techniques
- Experience computing in highly distributed cloud systems
Risk Management Solutions, Inc. (RMS) models and solutions help insurers, financial markets, corporations, and public agencies evaluate and manage global risk throughout the world. RMS has some 1,300 employees across 13 offices in the US, London, Bermuda, Zurich, India, China, Japan, Singapore, and Australia, with products and models covering six continents.
We lead an industry that we helped to pioneer—catastrophe risk modeling – and continue to innovate. In May 2019, we announced the launch of RMS Risk Intelligence™ (RI), an open, flexible and future-proof platform for strategic risk management. Through this purpose-built platform, clients can tap into RMS HD models, rich data layers, intuitive applications and APIs that simply integrate into existing enterprise systems to support business decisions across underwriting, risk selection, mitigation and portfolio management.
Insurers, reinsurers, trading companies, and other financial institutions trust RMS solutions to better understand and manage the risks of natural and human-made catastrophes, including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods, terrorism, and pandemics.
RMS is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, creed, gender, religion, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic characteristics, sexual orientation, or any other classification protected by applicable local, state, or federal law.
To all recruitment agencies: RMS does not accept unsolicited agency resumes and will not be responsible for the payment of placement fees related to unsolicited resumes submitted to open positions, job aliases, or to our employees.