Software Development Engineer - Back End
The Geospatial Development team at RMS is building a unified end-to-end workflow for geographic information in global risk management, encompassing functions from geocoding and hazard determination to map design and display. By activating the inherently geographic elements of disparate data sources, we enable teams at RMS to expose otherwise obscure relationships, and our customers to extract actionable insights to apply in their business processes. We’re looking for top engineers to help us build and deploy this capability.
RMS is hiring a Back-End Software Development Engineer to help design and develop the infrastructure that enables the work of the Geospatial Development team. You will be immersed in the digital transformation of existing applications to cutting-edge SaaS / PaaS solutions. You will also contribute to the design and development of innovative applications to find and quantify hazards from earthquakes, hurricanes, and floods, to terrorism and infectious disease.
Your job will be to work with a team of engineers, researchers, UX/UI designers, product managers, technical project leaders and other stakeholders to innovate and develop applications for RMS customers. Your solutions will leverage the latest advances in cloud infrastructure, database optimization, and data engineering. Your implementations will employ continuous delivery and rigorous testing before the code you check in reaches our customers.
An ideal candidate will be a hard-working and creative software engineer who has experience building innovative solutions including SaaS applications with micro-services. You will own services key to our business and have a measurable impact on the design, architecture, and implementation of cutting-edge products used by global customers every day. Your success means the high-quality of deliverables, strong engineering practices, fast time to market and increased customer satisfaction.
If you’re ready to make a difference to our company and our customers — if you enjoy tackling unique and interesting problems at scale — we want to hear from you.
Required Experience and Skills:
● Expertise in Java
● Expertise in cloud-leveraged services (AWS/GCP/Azure)
● Expertise in cluster computing technologies such as Apache Spark or Hadoop MapReduce
● Experience in columnar data storage format such Apache Parquet
● Familiarity with relational and big data such as Postgres, HDFS, Aurora, Dynamo and similar technologies
● Familiarity with Git and build-automation tools such as Maven
● Knowledge of advanced programming concepts such as memory management, files & handles, multi-threading and operating systems
● Strong skills in analytic computing and algorithms
● Passion for finding and solving problems
● Experience with unit-testing techniques
● Strong mathematical background, including statistics and numerical analysis
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills
● Strong engineering principles, familiarity with all stages of the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC)
● Experience working with geographically distributed teams
● A proven ability to deliver high-quality work consistently
● Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical field
● 3+ years of programming experience
Desired Experience and Skills:
● Experience in Scala
● Familiarity with scripting languages such as Python or R
● Experience in performance measurement, bottleneck analysis, and resource-usage monitoring
● Familiarity with probabilistic and stochastic computational techniques
● Experience with data access and computing in highly distributed cloud systems
● Knowledge of Agile methodologies (SCRUM, Kanban, etc.)
● Experience using geospatial data (Map/Location Data)
● Experience with Mapbox.gl or modern FOSS equivalent (OSM)
● Familiarity with modern web-tier technologies (Vue/Node)
About The Team
RMS Geospatial Development team designs and engineers the geographic information-management platform that underlies the company’s spectrum of applications. These, in turn, help financial institutions and public agencies understand, quantify, and manage risk in more than 270 countries and territories. Our software solutions help better understand catastrophic events and create a more resilient and sustainable global society.
Risk Management Solutions, Inc. (RMS) models and solutions help insurers, financial markets, corporations, and public agencies evaluate and manage global risk throughout the world. RMS has some 1,300 employees across 13 offices in the US, London, Bermuda, Zurich, India, China, Japan, Singapore, and Australia, with products and models covering six continents.
We lead an industry that we helped to pioneer—catastrophe risk modeling – and continue to innovate. In May 2019, we announced the launch of RMS Risk Intelligence™ (RI), an open, flexible and future-proof platform for strategic risk management. Through this purpose-built platform, clients can tap into RMS HD models, rich data layers, intuitive applications and APIs that simply integrate into existing enterprise systems to support business decisions across underwriting, risk selection, mitigation and portfolio management.
Insurers, reinsurers, trading companies, and other financial institutions trust RMS solutions to better understand and manage the risks of natural and human-made catastrophes, including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods, terrorism, and pandemics. Visit RMS.com to learn more and follow us on LinkedIn and Twitter.
RMS is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, creed, gender, religion, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic characteristics, sexual orientation, or any other classification protected by applicable local, state, or federal law.
To all recruitment agencies: RMS does not accept unsolicited agency resumes and will not be responsible for the payment of placement fees related to unsolicited resumes submitted to open positions, job aliases, or to our employees.
CCPA Notice: https://www.rms.com/assets/blta021441b7a6fa142/CCPA_Candidate_Notice.pdf