Our bus operators are the face of UTA! Safety and excellent customer service are the top priority for this position and UTA is working diligently to identify and hire the best and brightest for this critical role. We will teach you everything you need to know about how to operate UTA passenger buses and keep customers and equipment safe. Enjoy performing standard pre-trip/post-trip vehicle inspections, communicating information to the dispatch center, customers and supervisors, answer questions from customers and others, collect passenger fare, and follow UTA guidelines, operating rules and procedures. If you are seeking a long-term, fulfilling career, consider becoming a Bus Operator for UTA. Opportunities for advancement are impressive, benefits are incredible, and the security of knowing you work for a highly successful and stable organization in service to the community brings a sense of peace, belonging, and progress.
- Completion of UTA’s PAID Bus Operator Training/Certification Program, including passing all required exams.
- One year in a customer service role with ability to solve problems and resolve customer inquiries.
- At least 21 years of age.
- Safe driver with a valid driver license and no more than 2 moving violations in the past 3 years.
- No convictions for driving under the influence of alcohol or any drugs within the past 10 years.
- Familiar with the Wasatch Front is preferred but not required.
- Obtain and maintain a Department of Transportation (DOT) medical card (paid by UTA)
- Pass the written Class “B” CDL test, with Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement tests prior to the start of the paid training program
- Communicate with supervisors and customers and maintain good interpersonal relations, both orally and over the radio
- Read and understand training materials, operating manuals and operating and safety rules directives
- Prepare legible written reports of incidents and accidents
- Operate any and all passenger buses safely
- Report for assigned shift on time
- Meet schedule demands, scheduled shifts, and scheduled departures
- Perform the physical requirements of the job to include regular walking, floor to waist lifting up to 50 lbs occasionally/carrying up to 15 lbs occasionally, reaching, pushing, pulling, kneeling, crouching, balancing, bending, and prolonged periods of sitting and standing
- This job requires regular and predictable attendance.
UTA’s benefits package for full-time operators includes:
- Health, dental, vision, life/AD&D, short-term and long-term disability insurance (eligible after 60 days of employment), with Flexible Spending and Dependent Care accounts. Benefit plans include coverage for domestic partners (eligibility affidavit required for coverage).
- Onsite Health and Wellness Clinics for medical care at no cost to employees, spouses, domestic partners, and dependent
- 14 days of accrued paid time off (9 personal days and 5 vacation days) for the first year of employment, and 19 days of accrued paid time off (9 personal days and 10 vacation days) after the first year of employment.
- 10 paid holidays, additional floating holidays will be awarded with tenure at
- Retirement options - Pension Plan with 5-year vesting schedule and 457 Contribution Plan, available for contributions after Operator training graduation and company
- Generous tuition reimbursement for higher education, available for any higher education degree (bachelor, master, or PHD). Course of study must be approved prior to enrollment.
- Training, development, and career advancement
- Paid parental leave for birth, adoption, and child placement (after 12 months of employment).
- Free transit passes for employees, their spouses, and their dependent
- Employee assistance program – includes counseling, legal services, financial planning,
- UTA Well – a comprehensive wellness program designed to support employees and dependents in their health and wellness
- Free on-site fitness facilities and discounted membership to VASA
For more information on UTA’s Total Rewards benefits package, please visit: https://jobs.jobvite.com/rideuta/#benefits
Pay Rate: $20.00/hr training for up to nine (9) weeks. $23.75/hr after training with guaranteed pay increases every six months for the next four years up to $28.00/hr
Location: Salt Lake County ONLY
Close Date: December 31st, 2023 by 5:59 pm