Director of Entitlements (Industrial Development)
Rexford Industrial Realty, Inc. (NYSE: REXR) is a leading, publicly traded industrial real estate investment and management company operating over 33 million square feet of industrial properties throughout Southern California. Never has the mission and vision of Rexford Industrial been more exciting. Help us transform the Southern California Industrial Real Estate landscape
The Director of Entitlements (Industrial Development) role will be accountable for managing the entitlements of our ground up Industrial development projects throughout Southern California. The role will report to the EVP Development & Construction and will be accountable for the knowledge, insight and relationships across government (Cities, Counties and other relevant agencies such as Caltrans, CalGem, FEMA) and industry to assist in the achievement of Rexford Industrials development objectives.
The Director of Entitlements (Industrial Development) function works in collaboration with the following groups:
- Acquisitions / Underwriting
- Design & Construction
- Property Management
- Finance / Accounting
Working closely with the SVP of Construction, Director of Design and the acquisitions team, the successful candidate will navigate the entitlement, planning, and design review process, working across local government and to a lesser degree state government. You will have experience in building and managing strong relationships and be adept at framing the organization’s strategic views on a broad range of topics through a public policy lens with key stakeholders.
Facilitate the entitlement of an industrial development property, including obtaining zoning and governmental approvals in a timely manner and in accordance with our underwriting assumptions and time frames.
Director of Entitlements (Industrial Development) Responsibilities
- Maintain responsibility for the entitlement process, including the hiring and coordination of legal counsel or consultants and, the acquisition of city or county approval, etc.
- Oversee and coordinate public hearings, including variances, amendments, etc.
- Attend meetings with city staff and the development team, as well as public hearings or neighbor meetings
- Be highly conversant with local planning processes (specific to Southern California) in general and particularly the relevant General, Specific and Precise Plans.
- Establish controls that track detailed requirements for various entitlement related approvals.
- Contribute to the review of development strategy and project scheduling for the project
- Oversee the implementation of a forward-looking and highly effective government and industry engagement strategy to influence and improve policy and to ensure positive reputation and project outcomes for Rexford Industrial
- Provide strategic insights and counsel to senior internal stakeholders concerning issues of key significance to Rexford Industrial emanating from government policy with important project impacts
- Collaborate with and participate in effective dialogue with relevant external stakeholders on industry-wide concerns, including key industry associations and regulators and other key real estate development and construction institutions to plan and achieve positive public policy outcomes
- Establish appropriate feedback mechanisms to ensure continuous improvement of government and industry relations activities
Director of Entitlements (Industrial Development) Desired Capabilities
- Show a strong understanding of planning and regulatory approval processes and issues and demonstrate a proven ability to work with regulatory bodies to achieve project objectives
- Proven ability to manage complex public policy and negotiate the right outcomes with the relevant regulatory or government agency
- Significant public affairs, public policy, or government relations experience at a senior level, with experience in the real estate industrial development sector
- Demonstrable experience of planning and executing external engagement strategies and influencing change.
- Ability to analyze all relevant information & identify innovative and effective solutions to problems
- Ability to consider the key business drivers of the project & the organization, in decision-making, understanding the implications of decisions and actions
- Strong relationship building skills and the ability to effectively influence and motivate others as well as strong negotiation skills
- Disciplined in planning and monitoring
- Comfortable working in a fast-changing environment
- Pragmatic - a ”finisher” with an eye for detail and the ability to drive through solutions to problems and not just operate at the macro level
- Able to simultaneously input into the overall entitlements strategy while also executing it
Director of Entitlements (Industrial Development) Minimum Requirements
- Relevant bachelor’s degree in business or property with post graduate qualifications desirable.
- 15 years of broad real estate management experience including planning/entitlements, development management, project management, new business, and construction/delivery, specifically in the Industrial development sector in Southern California.
- Robust local network (Southern California)
- Experience with LEED certified industrial projects
- Experience with the development of major industrial facilities (CEQA, agency approvals, coordination with City and County agencies).
- Experience with community engagement processes and strong communication skills, both oral and written.
Rexford Industrial’s reward plan includes highly competitive base salaries, bonus eligibility and long- term incentives for many positions, comprehensive medical, dental, vision and life insurance; 401k with match, vacation, additional PTO and paid holidays, as well as regular company events, food, snacks, coffee, ping pong table, massage chairs, TVs and beautiful offices with 360 degree views of the ocean, mountains and city.
We celebrate diversity and are deeply committed to fostering an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate on the bases of race, religion, color, national origin, gender Identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability.