Regional Product Development Chef
The Regional Product Development Chef role is divided into three main functions:
- sales support
- product development
- customer engagement
Responsible within a specified region for Product Development focused on fresh and healthy food products and recipes tailored to meet our business needs. Creates new products, maintain and reformulates existing products, demonstrating a good knowledge of ingredients and nutritional value meeting our quality standards. Projects may involve routine development of dishes and family meals from conception through scale up. Ensure maximum efficiency while maintaining the highest standards of legislative, company standards, and specifications. Sets priorities, spot checks results, manages teams to perform with best in class efficiencies in total compliance of all food safety, company, and regulatory agency requirements.
Major Duties and Responsibilities: Responsible for working from concept to formulation while supporting scale-up and launch of healthy food choices. May direct staff and work cross-functionally with multiple departments, food production team members, and suppliers to build effective processes and deliver the project objective. Provides training and motivation to team members in support of operational delivery. Follows all health and safety standards, GMP’s, food safety, visual quality and PPE requirements. Sets priorities and gives direction based upon goals and meets KPI targets for the department.
- Takes the lead providing culinary guidance to ensure proper Product Development for delivery of foods for schools from concept through commercialization. This will include formulation, re-formulation, translating PD recipes into SOPs, setting up procedures and guidelines for scale up and mass production efficiencies.
- Reformulates existing product to meet nutrition, cost optimization and clean label production standards.
- Ensure supply, ingredients and raw materials availability to produce new products. This may require small supply orders or working with procurement to maintain sufficient raw materials and ingredients to operate efficiently, while minimizing waste.
- Maintain records of research and development activities, to include but not limited to accurate recipe formulations, procedures, temping, yield data and production notes.
- Collaborate with operational personnel to maximum handover and transition efficiency.
- Strategically plan and organize, related activities within the department to ensure adequate coverage, updates/ progress and result related to routines, priorities, hours, schedules, productivity, quality and safety.
- Understands KPI's, department targets, and the root cause of poor performance. Implement corrective actions to drive results. Regularly reports on progress against objectives.
- May assist with ingredient sourcing, department audits, control and disposition of waste. Maintains inventory records, and complies for food safety and sanitation requirements.
- Actively coach, train and develop team to build confidence, implement process control methods, and deliver KPI results. Eliminates daily barriers to support positive results.
- Provide direct supervision, development, guidance and coaching to team members. Influences team to get the job done. Develops team members to understand processes, methods, controls and systems. Builds trust & respect. Diffuses conflict. Delegates assignments to team leads or team members.
- Works in collaboration with the operating management team to ensure a best in class
- Ensure team properly stores equipment and implements good operating procedures, resulting in minimal equipment damage.
- Ensure raw materials and equipment availability to meet defined production schedules with a minimum amount of down time. Identify, cost, prioritize and execute projects.
- Supports our green waste program, ensuring waste products are properly sorted and accounted for.
- May complete a variety of routine office tasks that may include typing, preparing reports, completing research, track information and KPI’s, prepare or update excel spread sheets, copying, scanning, etc.
- Performs other duties as needed.
Required Experience and Education:
- Minimum 6 years of experience actively in a Product Development Culinary Chef position.
- Advanced education or related degree in culinary arts, Nutrition, food safety or a related education is preferred.
- Experience working with FDA and USDA regulations, compliance and commercialization requirements.
- Project management experience in a continuous improvement environment is required.
- Certification and training in HACCP, Food Handling/ ServSafe, Culinary arts,helpful.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Ability:
- Solid knowledge of the work associated with creating new products, documentation, and healthy foods focus.
- A self-starter who is able to accomplish the work and meet targets thru others
- Able to work a flexible schedule to ensure efficient work completion when necessary.
- Ability to set priorities and problem-solve, while working under pressure and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to read and interpret legislative guidance and requirements that apply to the work place
- Ability to motivate and develop team members.
- Excellent communication skills, a professional demeanor and interpersonal relationship skills.
- Critical Thinking - Demonstrated ability to determine root cause findings, take corrective actions, and problem-solving skills.
- Intermediate computer skills: Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
We are an E-Verify employer where mandated by State or Federal contracts.