Product Development Technician
Responsible to apply fresh food principles, quality, and analytics to deliver new product recipes and meal creations that promote healthy eating for schools and/or retail sale. Verify and document ingredient decks and nutritional value. Uses software applications that meet Revolution Foods ingredient standards and budgetary guidelines
Major Duties and Responsibilities: The Product Development Technician/Culinary Admin is responsible for supporting recipe and meal creation using nutritional development software applications that meet Revolution Foods ingredient standards and budgetary guidelines. Work on new or existing products and concepts to develop food recipes, meal kits, snacks, and beverage products.
- Coordinate and assist with “hands-on” steps necessary for the menu/product processes including recipe validations, line trails, and any additional testing scenarios that may be deemed necessary.
- Follows best practices, food development trends, food safety and common product processes with.
- Will conduct trials, testing, and sensory and taste panels, documenting the results.
- Works with others to prepare product costings based on raw materials, preparation, processing, packaging, and labeling costs to ensure profitable products. Prepares documentation for cost, nutrition, and commercialization review prior to menu showings.
- Identifies the nutritional value of products that may include texture, extended product shelf life, packaging alternatives, value-added alternatives, etc.
- Complete high-level data entry, related tasks using software systems such as PrimeroEdge and Eatec programs.
- Verifies food safety and raw material quality standards are being met. Responsible and accountable for organization, sanitation, and cleanliness of test kitchen and equipment.
- Supports Product Development, marketing and Sales Teams, as needed, with data analytics from Crave and kid taste test. Assists Training Manager with preparation for roll-outs/field training.
- Assists with needed photo-shoots for recipes and meals; supports Marketing Manager with preparation of collateral material.
- Acts as the point person for PD to Nutri-Comp for compliant meal builds
- Working with PD and Nutri-Comp to develop better processes to streamline the MAC build process
- Acts as the primary data person for PD, supporting call chefs regionally and at HOT to ensure time and accurate MAC’s
- Audits and update outdated MAC’s to ensure proper information to all Culinary Center
- Follows all required safe work and food safety practices. Wears required protective equipment
Required Experience and Education:
- Culinary and or Food Science Degree required
- 3+ years of experience in Fresh Food Production, Planning or Development, Ideally School Feeding Programs or large volume catering, such as airlines.
- ServSafe or Food Handlers certification required.
- Prior HACCP certification, Food Handler or other related certification desirable
Required Knowledge, Skills and Ability:
- Demonstrated ability to be a self-starter who will be responsible for common routines. Goal-driven with the ability to multi-task, troubleshoot, work independently with little direction, and who’s confident enough to ask when clarification is needed.
- Understanding of common food related software programs with a desire to learn Eatec and PrimeroEdge software.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- A self-starter with an unrelenting attention to detail.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills via email, in person and on the phone, both in one on one and team situations.
- Must be able to tolerate working in the walk-in freezer and chilled environments, as needed. Able to work as a team and individually to accomplish the work
- Ability to problem-solve, while working under pressure and thrive in a very fast paced environment, with changing priorities and deadlines.
- Ability to use basic commercial kitchen equipment, knives, tools, meters, or related items.
We are an E-Verify employer where mandated by State or Federal contracts.