The Accountant reports to the Assistant Controller and plays a critical role in the accounting/finance department. This role is responsible for a variety of accounting activities, including but not limited to: accounts payable oversight, collections, fixed assets, bank reconciliations, variance analysis, cash application and audit support. This person will also complete ad hoc projects and analyses. Our ideal candidate works well in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with vendors and internal processors to resolve discrepancies and issues to optimize the A/P process. Give direction to Accounting team for weekly payment disbursements.
- Work with Purchasing or the appropriate department to research and resolve issues timely.
- Recommends, negotiates and carries out collection action plans for past due customer accounts.
- Manage fixed assets, capitalization, reconciliations and roll-forwards
- Assist with financial and tax audits, interact with external auditors to ensure that support and explanations for all requests are provided in a timely manner
- Participate in cross-functional projects to drive overall enhancements of the Finance department
- Manages cash application and daily bank reconciliations
- Manage closing accounts payable on a monthly-basis. Prepare month-end account reconciliations.
- Assist with technical accounting research and documentation of new policies and procedures.
- Performs other duties as needed
Required Experience and Education:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or General Business
- 2+ years experience involving Staff Accounting responsibilities, preferably including A/P.
- Experience working in food manufacturing, grocery, food, retail, and/or service background is a plus.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Ability:
- Knowledge of accounting principles and procedures
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Demonstration of skills in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Ability to manage a wide variety of activities and functions simultaneously
- Strong technical ability to work with software applications, including the development of tables, excel spread sheets, formulas, custom reporting, interfaces, and data transfer.
- Ability to analyze and problem solve in a fast-paced environment.
We are an E-Verify employer where mandated by State or Federal contracts.