Sr Director, Product Development Chef
Why join Revolution Foods?
Do work that matters supporting the mission of Revolution Foods, which provides healthy meals across the nation! At Revolution Foods we value our employees and provide access to great benefits, pay, and opportunity, including:
- Medical, dental & vision plan
- Company-paid life insurance coverage
- 14 paid holidays
- 10 paid vacation days
- Company stock options
Details of the Position
- This is a Full-Time position
- Location: Oakland, CA
The role is divided into three main functions: Sales Support, Product Development, Customer Engagement.
Under the direction of the VP Culinary & Executive Chef, the Sr. Product Development Chef is responsible for Product Development focused on fresh and healthy food products and recipes tailored to meet our business needs. Creates new products, maintains and reformulates existing products, demonstrating a good knowledge of ingredients and nutritional value meeting our quality standards. Projects may involve routine development of dishes and family meals from conception through scale-up. Ensure maximum efficiency while maintaining the highest standards of legislative, company standards, and specifications. Sets priorities, spot checks results, manages teams to perform with best-in-class efficiencies in total compliance of all food safety, company, and regulatory agency requirements.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for working from concept to formulation while supporting scale-up and launch of healthy food choices.
- Directs staff and works cross-functionally with multiple departments, food production team members, and suppliers to build effective processes and deliver the project objective.
- Provides training and motivation to team members in support of operational delivery. Follows all health and safety standards, GMP’s, food safety, visual quality, and PPE requirements.
- Sets priorities and give direction based upon goals and meets KPI targets for the department.
- Takes the lead providing culinary guidance to ensure proper Product Development for the delivery of foods for schools from concept through commercialization. This will include formulation, reformulation, translating PD recipes into SOPs, setting up procedures and guidelines for scale-up and mass production efficiencies.
- Develop recipes, workflows, and SOPs to facilitate the implementation of our products introduced into school accounts and other environments serviced. Serve as a point of knowledge about customers culinary needs, requirements
- Reformulates existing products to meet nutrition, cost optimization, and clean label production standards.
- Ensure supply, ingredients, and raw materials available to produce new products. This may require small supply orders or working with procurement to maintain sufficient raw materials and ingredients to operate efficiently while minimizing waste.
- Maintain records of research and development activities, including but not limited to accurate recipe formulations, procedures, temping yield data, and production notes.
- Collaborate with operational personnel to maximum handover and transition efficiency.
- Strategically plan and organize, related activities within the department to ensure adequate coverage, updates/progress, and results related to routines, priorities, hours, schedules, productivity, quality, and safety.
- Understands KPI's, department targets, and the root cause of poor performance. Implement corrective actions to drive results. Regularly reports on progress against objectives.
- May assist with ingredient sourcing, department audits, control, and disposition of waste. Maintains inventory records, and complies with food safety and sanitation requirements.
- Actively coach, train and develop a team to build confidence, implement process control methods, and deliver KPI results. Eliminates daily barriers to support positive results.
- Provide direct supervision, development, guidance, and coaching to team members. Influences team to get the job done. Develops team members to understand processes, methods, controls, and systems. Builds trust & respect. Diffuses conflict. Delegates assignments to team leads or team members.
- Works in collaboration with the operating management team to ensure best-in-class performance.
- Ensure team properly stores equipment and implements good operating procedures, resulting in minimal equipment damage.
- Ensure raw materials and equipment available to meet defined production schedules with a minimum amount of downtime. Identify, cost, prioritize and execute projects.
- Supports our green waste program, ensuring waste products are properly sorted and accounted for.
- May complete a variety of routine office tasks that may include typing, preparing reports, completing research, track information and KPIs, prepare or update excel spreadsheets, copying, scanning, etc.
- Performs other duties as needed.
- Minimum 6 years of experience acting in a Product Development Culinary Chef position.
- Advanced education or related degree in culinary arts, nutrition, food safety, or related education is preferred.
- Experience working with FDA and USDA regulations, compliance and commercialization requirements.
- Project management experience in a continuous improvement environment is required.
- Certification and training in HACCP, Food Handling/ ServSafe, Culinary arts, helpful.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Ability:
- Solid knowledge of the work associated with creating new products, documentation, and healthy foods focus.
- A self-starter who is able to accomplish the work and meet targets thru others
- Able to work a flexible schedule to ensure efficient work completion when necessary.
- Ability to set priorities and problem-solve, while working under pressure and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to read and interpret legislative guidance and requirements that apply to the workplace
- Ability to motivate and develop team members.
- Excellent communication skills, a professional demeanor and interpersonal relationship skills.
- Critical Thinking - Demonstrated ability to determine root cause findings, take corrective actions, and problem-solving skills.
- Intermediate computer skills: Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
Revolution Foods is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We make employment decisions based on merit and the Company’s business needs. In accordance with all applicable laws, the Company prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), gender, marital or registered domestic partnership status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), medical condition (including cancer and genetic characteristics), military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
We are an E-Verify employer where mandated by State or Federal contracts.