Sr. Director of Quality Assurance
Why join Revolution Foods?
Do work that matters supporting the mission of Revolution Foods, which provides healthy meals across the nation! At Revolution Foods we value our employees and provide access to great benefits, pay, and opportunity, including:
- Medical, dental, & vision plan
- Company-paid life insurance coverage
- Company stock options
- Paid vacation and sick time
Details of Position
- Full Time Position
- Location: United States: remote
- Salary: Salary range varies depending upon location.
As Revolution Foods moves to its next stage of community impact and growth, we are looking to enhance our processes and credentials within the Food Safety and Quality Arena. This National role will start with a heavy project orientation to build and launch several mission critical initiatives: USDA MOI certification, GFSI certification (SQF or BRC), Supplier Qualification Program implementation as well as enhanced product sensory processes. The role will evolve, as these programs unfold, to be the steward of these critical initiatives driving a culture of Quality at every level of our organization through training, coaching, audits and continuous improvement efforts in all aspects of our Food Safety & Quality Assurance programs.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
Project Development & Leadership (first 12-18 months):
- Develop and implement roadmap for earning USDA MOI status in selected facilities within 6 months, and all facilities within 2 years.
- Develop and implement roadmap for GFSI certification in selected facilities with 6 months, and all facilities within 2 years.
- Develop and implement a world class Supplier Verification program.
- Review and enhance existing sensory evaluation program to deliver world class food quality experiences for our clients and ownership of this result at every level of the Culinary Center organizations.
- Ensure clear and standardized processes and procedures exist for conducting and measuring all aspects of quality and accuracy control, including: GMPs, factory conditions, inbound receiving, storage and handling, visual controls, food production and meal assembly, counting and order accuracy, cold chain management, waste removal, pest control, microbiological monitoring, water sampling, HACCP, etc.
- Ensure all ‘Process Control’ systems are properly implemented and maintained and that all data is collected and reported daily.
- Ensure that the quality assurance department controls all relevant factory-based process control sheets, photographic standards and reference sheets.
- Enable factories to safely launch new items in a controlled manner by being an integral part of the team. Use technical knowledge to guide the launch process ideally without constraining the business commercial plan.
- Incorporate any new USDA / FDA or other enforcement agency regulations and/or audit concerns quickly and efficiently such that there is no interruption to standard business operating.
Management and Leadership:
- Live the values of Revolution Foods and promote them whenever possible. Promote ‘Quality and Accuracy’ within the organization by positively reinforcing the Company’s quality ethos and encouraging a ‘right the first time, every time’ approach.
- Responsible for the highest level of health and safety for the employees, agency employees and the consumer. Required to report and to complete ‘Accident / Incident’ forms and conduct any necessary investigations, taking measures to prevent additional problems or re-occurrence. Requires training and re-training as needed.
- Provides clarity and direction to the quality assurance teams across the nation so there is consistency of correct decisions throughout the sites.
- Ensure that yearly budgetary targets are met. Look for opportunities of cost saving across the quality function.
- Set timescales and measurements by which the markets carry out maintenance audits for all equipment and other assets. Reports against progress to ensure completion to schedule and alignment across all sites.
- Actively fosters strong and lasting relationships with key members of the USDA, FDA and other enforcement bodies as required
- Organizes a weekly QAM roundtable to share best practice and issues of the day
- Sets clear objectives for all employees and reviews them regularly and honestly
- Conducts regular one to ones with direct and dotted-line reports, providing honest performance feedback with regards to both technical knowledge and career development
- Responsible, with the Directors of Operations, for ensuring that each site has adequate and leveraged quality assurance resources such that the operational needs of each business are not constrained.
- Actively resolve problems that team members raise. Give positive feedback to help build confidence and provide constructive criticism to develop skills. Responsible for coaching and discipline of team members.
- Quality Champion and food safety expert for all products produced at the market sites
- Be the ‘go to’ expert for all matters of food safety, quality and legality. Serve as a conduit between head office and the sites regarding product queries or concerns. Key member of the crisis management team in the event of a recall or other food safety event, ensuring communications and corrective action plans are clear and timely.
- Ensure that the HACCP system is relevant, up to date and reviewed as frequently as necessary by a trained multidisciplinary team.
- Delivery of yearly 3rd Party Food Safety audit(s) as required. Ensures that the sites are all using the same measures to track progress against any 3rd party standard. Gains support from directors to ensure that the highest audit scores are delivered year after year.
- Ensure compliance with quality standards as identified on Product Specifications, to isolate and address any non-conformance’s and monitor measures designed to maintain and improve standards within the department.
- Set and measure compliance to the GMP standards by which the factories operate
- Ensure that all suppliers in the business are approved to the appropriate level – up to and including auditing to a 3rd party standard. Ensure that all new raw materials are adequately risk assessed before being used in launch items.
- Ensure all quality information - across hygiene, factory records, process control, HACCP, procedures, policies etc. - is fully up to date and audit ready at all times
- Ensure that key quality KPI’s are measured, recorded, trended and fed back to the business. Ensure that key trends are moving in the desired direction and when they are not; ensure that there is a clear plan of action in place to ensure corrective action
- Has overarching responsibility for complaints; spots any cross-site trends so they can be investigated and eliminated early utilizing root cause analysis
- Ensures that all site quality KPI’s are aligned across the markets; both the actual KPI’s measured and that the level to which they are administered.
- Ensures that a monthly period report is completed on time and that all sites have the same method of presentation. Ensures that there are documented clear and effective corrective actions so that they can be presented to the Executive leadership team.
- Shelf Life validation of products, Nutritional validation of Products, Internal Audits
- Performs other duties as necessary.
- Multiple years experience in USDA FSIS facilities. Prefer experience leading an FSA to qualify a new facility for USDA MOI.
- Experience leading GFSI audits for either SQF or BRC certification.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in the food industry preferred, with 5-8 years of experience in the Quality Assurance environment preferred.
- Experience working in a food manufacturing environment applying common processes, procedures and equipment. Experience managing in a chilled food manufacturing business.
- PCQI and HACCP certifications preferred.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Ability:
- Manufacturing experience in chilled food.
- Good understanding of all continuous improvement production techniques.
- Demonstrated ability at being a team player.
- Ability to apply new processes, procedures, operational skills and follow established procedures
- Application of statistical controls and design of inspection processes (e.g. Mil Std 105E)
- Excels under pressure, with the ability to make calm, rational decisions on a multitude of issues within short spaces of time. Leads by example and always inspires others to be the best they can be. Exerts a calming influence on team and peers.
- Good Math skills and conversion ability
- Ability to work a flexible schedule and working hours as necessary
- Must have a good understanding of English, bilingual (Spanish) speaking skills are helpful
- Must demonstrate enthusiasm, self-motivation, resourcefulness and scheduling flexibility
Working Conditions: Work is done primarily in an office setting, with some exposure and work within a chilled factory setting. Occasionally exposed to wet, damp and cold conditions. May sometimes lift and carry objects weighing up to 25-50 pounds. All PPE is provided.
Revolution Foods is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We make employment decisions based on merit and the Company’s business needs. In accordance with all applicable laws, the Company prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), gender, marital or registered domestic partnership status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), medical condition (including cancer and genetic characteristics), military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
We are an E-Verify employer where mandated by State or Federal contracts.