Senior Director of Operations
The Director of Operations is responsible for directing staff and work cross-functionally with multiple departments, food production teams, and suppliers to build effective processes and deliver the project objective. Provides training and motivation to team members, using recognition, and positive feedback. Follows all health and safety standards, GMP’s, food safety, visual quality and PPE requirements. Sets priorities and gives direction based upon the daily production plan, controls labor costs, meets KPI targets for the department.
- Ensures proper transition from product receival to delivery of School Meals, including creation of SOPs, procedures, setting up purchasing and training guides for staff.
- Works cross functionally to ensure cleanliness, QA, and supply chain/storage are compliant to company standards
- Manage day to day operation over production/distribution.
- Ensure supply, ingredients and materials availability to produce daily orders, including packaging, delivery equipment, and food quality
- Oversee dedicated driver and deliveries of 80+ school sites. Partner with Dispatch/Distribution teams to ensure the highest levels of delivery service.
- Actively coach, train and develop team to build confidence, implement process control methods, and deliver KPI results. Eliminates daily barriers to support positive results.
- Provide direct Supervision, development, guidance and coaching to team members. Influences team to get the job done. Develops team members to understand processes, methods, controls and systems. Builds trust & respect. Diffuses conflict. Delegates assignments to Team Leads or Team Members.
- Works in collaboration with the operating management team to ensure a best in class performance.
- Ensure team properly stores equipment and implements good operating procedures, resulting in minimal equipment damage.
- Ensure raw materials and equipment availability to meet defined production schedules with a minimum amount of down time. Identify, cost, prioritize and execute projects.
- Supports our green waste program, ensuring waste products are properly sorted and accounted for.
- May complete a variety of routine office tasks that may include typing, preparing reports, completing research, track information and KPI’s, prepare or update excel spread sheets, copying, scanning, etc.
- Conduct daily meetings during pilot to capture learnings, feedback, and make modifications to plan as needed
- Ensures production department(s) operate at maximum efficiency.
- Bring the company's values and management principles alive in the department(s)
- Strategically plan, organize, and manage the food production department with regards to daily production routines, priorities, hours, schedules, productivity, quality and safety.
- Ensure timely and accurate production and preparation of food products, to include set-up, staging, change overs, allergen controls, and department sanitation.
- Understands KPI's, department targets, and the root cause of poor performance. Implement corrective actions to drive results.
- Minimum 5 years of experience actively managing a fast-paced food production environment. Chilled food experience preferred.
- Minimum 3 years of distribution experience required.
- Experience working in a start-up chilled food Production operation and implementing processes
- Advanced education or related degree in culinary arts, food safety or management is preferred.
- Project management experience in a continuous improvement environment is required.
- Certification and training in HACCP, Food Handling/ ServSafe, Culinary arts, CCP’s helpful.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Ability:
- Able to work a flexible schedule to ensure efficient work completion when necessary.
- Ability to set priorities and problem-solve, while working under pressure and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to motivate and develop team members.
- Excellent communication skills, a professional demeanor and interpersonal relationship skills.
- Critical Thinking - Demonstrated ability to determine root cause findings, take corrective actions, and problem-solving skills.
- A self-starter who is able to accomplish the work and meet targets thru others
- Ability to work in a cold/ damp environment and stand for extended periods
- Intermediate computer skills: Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
We are an E-Verify employer where mandated by State or Federal contracts.