Director of Legal Services
Role: Director of Legal Services
Reporting to: Chief Financial and Administrative Officer (CFAO)
Our goal at Pivotree is to help accelerate the future of frictionless commerce. We will help lead this change over the next decade because we believe a future where technology is embedded intimately into all aspects of our everyday lives can benefit everyone and will shape the interactions with the brands we love. We will help shape the future of frictionless commerce by working together with some of the best brands in the world and some of the best people in the industry to leverage converging technologies that will make it possible to accelerate frictionless commerce faster than ever.
Pivotree provides services focused on the design, implementation, management, and maintenance of complex ecommerce solutions for large enterprises. We provide the technical skills necessary to enable the effective use of technologies combined with the business context to leverage a solution to solve our clients' business challenges. We strive to fill the gaps in available technology with our own IP to reduce the barriers to adoption.
We enable inclusive, immersive and highly personalized experiences for our clients and their customers. We build our products with a view to productizing and scaling technology to lower the costs and reduce the risks of implementing and managing our integrated solutions. Each of our solutions starts with reliable and reputable e-commerce and MDM platforms, which run on enterprise grade infrastructure that are customized to meet a variety of client needs, situations, and budgets. Over the next 10 years we will add new categories and capabilities that will define frictionless commerce ecosystems.
This is a journey of technology acceleration combined with consumer readiness and adoption. We are looking for people capable of adapting relentlessly to the rapidly evolving world around us.
Pivotree’s Corporate Services are responsible for driving positive employee experience which will lead to best in class quality of services to our clients. The Corporate Services team consists of trusted advisors and partners that are focused on building the best back office services across Pivotree. When Corporate Services does it’s job well Pivotree’s market facing and operational functions are able to help our customers on their frictionless journey. The Director of Legal Services, along with the other functional leaders within Corporate Services are a team that report to the CFAO to provide this service.
The Director of Legal Services is responsible for the greater legal function at Pivotree and ensure it can grow, adapt to meet the needs of the greater organization. A Director of Legal Services will both personally manage as well as build the systems to ensure the business accomplishes its objectives while 1) protecting the organization from unwanted risks, and 2) showing flexibility and understanding to our partners constraints and concerns.
The Director of Legal Services is a dual role as advisor and function builder. As Pivotree continues to grow it needs strong systems, processes and policies in place to manage the demands of our clients and greater organization. The Director of Legal services is also called upon regularly across the organization for practical and business focused legal advice for solving day to day problems.
The Director of Legal Services will ensure that the legal function can:
- Offer practical legal advice to help solve business problems
- Build, maintain and oversee a contracting process that is easy and efficient to do business with
- Work with the CFAO in ensuring that Pivotree manages its total risk profile while solving day to day business issues
- Manage our requirements as public company
- Manage fairly and principally company legal disputes
Roles & Responsibilities:
Director of Legal Services is responsible for the legal function at Pivotree; with specific responsibilities:
- Overseeing pillars of legal function – contracting process, deal structuring, contract management, internal controls, corporate governance, legal disputes
- Representing Pivotree externally as legal voice with clients, partner, vendor and employee matters
- Internal advisor to the Business on legal matters
- Reviewing, advising on internal contracting and legal issue with a lens to helping Pivotree solve its business problems
- Business recommendations on how to navigate legal issues
- Taking lead on legal negotiations and challenges:
- Process managing more complex legal negotiations
- Engaging external counsel as required for specialized legal requirements
- Point of contact with outside counsel on legal issues and also managing relationships and overall spend
- Setting policies, standards, templates and education to improve Pivotree’s legal, contracting and risk management approach
Key Skills and Competencies:
- Director of Legal Services must be a member of a relevant law society (ideally the Ontario Bar)
- The ideal candidate will have experience with commercial contracting and negotiations in the IT Services and/or SaaS space, with an understanding of issues such as:
- Delivery commitments (including commercial issues that driving price)
- Software as a Service offerings and common legal issues/resolutions
- Service Level Commitments
- IT industry partnership structures
- GDPR, Data and Privacy law
- Ideal candidates will be able to manage complex enterprise IT contracting scenarios such as RFPs, Multi-party agreements, flow through commitments and other industry standard items
- Experience managing public company requirements, capital structure management and credit financings are an asset
- Experience with Intellectual Property laws
- Impeccable attention to detail, strong ability to multi-task and manage multiple projects and priorities, and a curiosity for business issues
- Experience in employment law is an asset
Pivotree is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive and accessible workplace.