NoSQL Database Administrator
Love a challenge? Anyone can manage a single application - we manage and maintain thousands of production databases and data store technologies along with the components supporting billions of operations with very divergent workloads. You’ll be part of a highly capable and motivated NoSQL DBA Team working on solving the hard problems of scalability, availability, and performance on a global platform across multiple data store technologies. This position will involve supporting primarily NoSQL database technologies and our search engine technologies along with some big data add-ons and feeders
Expected tasks for this role:
• Manage and maintain thousands of production customer databases and Elasticsearch nodes and indexes associated with search capabilities
• Automate and innovate new ways to manage large database clusters and improve existing Elasticsearch performance for our multitude of existing customer bases.
• Push the limits of MongoDB, Elasticsearch, and other relational and NoSQL database technologies
• Work with cutting edge technology in the cloud computing space
• Provide Fanatical Support to all of our customers through innovative solutions
• Create sustainable and maintainable environments for our NoSQL and Elasticsearch arenas
• Install, configure, update and troubleshoot very large database and search environments and applications
• Collaborate with Engineers, DBA’s, and System Administrators on technical issues
• Be part of the community. Attend conferences, meetups then move towards contribution via wiki articles, then blogging, etc.
• Our ideal candidate will be open to working 2nd shift support (2pm - 11pm).
Qualifications - Position Requirements & Experience:
• BS/MS in Computer Science
• 3+ years experience with NoSQL databases such as MongoDB and Cassandra, etc.
• 2+ years experience with relational databases such as Oracle, Postgres, or MySQL
• 2+ years experience with search technologies such as Elasticsearch, Solr or Lucene
• 2+ years managing highly available, scalable production systems in a fast-paced production environment
• Experience building and developing in both a cloud environment as well as on the direct host level (non-cloud level).
• Proficiency with Python, Perl, shell, MapReduce or other languages
• Understanding of data architecture, replication, and administration
• Extensive knowledge of Linux/Unix
• Fast learner, creative thinker, problem solver
• Team player, highly motivated and self-manageable
• Responsible, dedicated and responsive in non-working hours as needed
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• Comfortable with collaborative tools such as slack, wikis and basic ticket tracking systems (JIRA and ZenDesk)
• Action and detail oriented. Highly motivated to drive projects to completion
Nice to have:
• Shell, Ruby, C, Java development or driver experience
• Knowledge of big data pipelines such as Hive, Pig, Spark, Kafka
• Some knowledge of load balancers, DNS, networking, and/or client-side drivers.