Linux Enterprise Support Engineer (ESE)
Linux Enterprise Support Engineer
Serves as a key element within the Rackspace support infrastructure and has ownership of technical support for a designated customer base. Provides consulting service to customers on building, maintaining, and upgrading systems to meet customer needs. Applies creative problem-solving techniques to identify the source of problems, while at the same time keeping the customer aware of every step along the way. Analyzes customer configurations, uses initiative and advises on potential pitfalls that a customer may experience using existing or planned methods and suggests alternatives that may better serve the stability of the customer’s solution. Proposes and implements system enhancements (software and hardware updates) that will improve the performance and reliability of the system. Solves customer's technical issues which can include OS level, web server, database server, applications server, DNS, SMTP, user management and permissions, or other software issues. This role may be on call 24x7x365 and is the premier role of Fanatical Support.
* KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS/ABILITY: Advanced knowledge of servers/computer hardware and software. Strong knowledge of DNS, including diagnostics with UNIX tools. Expert working knowledge of Linux OS. Expert knowledge of network fundamentals. Advanced knowledge of relevant web services, mail, MBU, Linux and monitoring applications. Advanced knowledge of MySQL. Drive to continually expand knowledge in the areas of new technological developments and trends. Attention to detail in documenting information and ability to show ownership of follow through in customer resolutions. Solid problem-solving abilities coupled with a desire to take on responsibility. Strong written and verbal communications skills, bi-lingual skills a plus. Strong presentation skills. Ability to develop and maintain relationships with key external stakeholders at various business levels.
* JOB COMPLEXITY: Owns the technical support for the customer base; tracks issues, ensures resolution at the appropriate level. Ensures customers receive a Fanatical Support experience. Understands customer configurations and analyzes strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats. Collaborates with the customer to proactively address weaknesses and opportunities. Collaborates with internal and external teams to provide support. Troubleshoots and resolves system service issues and OS level issues. Receives and resolves issues escalated from lower level admins. Creates and maintains customer loyalty by serving customers above and beyond their expectations. Due to the 24x7 operations of the business, must be able to work a flexible work schedule, may include nights, weekends, holidays, emergency escalations, etc.
* SUPERVISION: Performs tasks with little supervision, receives escalations from others. Mentors and coaches individual contributors.
* EXPERIENCE/EDUCATION: Requires a high school diploma/GED AND 4 - 6 years system administration experience requiring expert level OS knowledge and advanced knowledge of Apache, MySQL, PHP; including a minimum of 2+ years web hosting experience. Experience requiring a strong knowledge of storage clustering. Familiarity with Rackspace tools, systems and infrastructure. Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field preferred. Linux+, RHCSA, and RHCE certifications preferred.
* PHYSICAL DEMANDS: General office environment. May require long periods sitting and viewing a computer monitor. Moderate levels of stress may occur at times. No special physical demands required. May require domestic travel to customer sites, conferences, and education; less than 15%.