Custom System Engineer - Linux
Windows / Linux SME (L4)
Scripting: Powershell Must have
Supporting International Clients
The purpose of the Custom Systems Engineer (CSE) within the Custom family is broadly to support the Service Delivery function in Enterprise and ultimately improve the customer’s Fanatical Support experience.
Custom’s Lead Engineers (LE) and Service Delivery Managers are ultimately responsible for managing our largest clients.
We need our Lead Engineers to focus on the proactive and consultative elements of the role, and the CSEs enable them to do so.
Their responsibilities include:
• Taking on and owning to completion discreet pieces of work (projects, changes, migrations and transformation activities) while liaising with peers in other technical disciplines. This particular opening will see the candidate focusing on large datacentre consolidation efforts initially lasting for several months to a year.
• Having a deep knowledge of aligned Custom accounts, their specific support needs and current issues
• Acting as a point of technical escalation from the Support teams for Custom account operational issues.
• Disseminating pertinent information about Custom accounts to the broader support teams.
• Supporting LEs and SDMs with escalations, consultation and implementations.
• Providing general incident response and root-cause problem management – including supporting Major Incident Managers and RCA Facilitators in the resolution of complex incidents, as well as perform root cause analysis.
• Working together with Service Delivery, Professional Services, Tech Support, and 3rd parties to execute complex project work.
• Representing various technical functions and interests in process/policy discussions on behalf of Custom and our customers internally across Rackspace.
• Creating and maintaining customer loyalty by serving customers above and beyond their expectations.
This is an exciting opportunity to extend your knowledge and experience, supporting some of the most technically challenging accounts in EMEA.
• Owning to completion project work as assigned by the Custom Engineering Manager or aligned equivalent in Professional Services.
• Incident and Problem/RCA investigation. Technical input into the production of relevant documentation.
• Simulation of issues or proof of concept deployments in the lab and documenting procedures and outcomes.
• Encouraging cooperation between Custom/Enterprise and associated technical teams.
• Educating the general support teams as to the account-specific support requirements in Custom.
• In concert with the guidance of your manager, accept escalations from the customer and internal support teams for issues pertaining to Custom accounts.
• Ensure any tickets assigned to you or delegated by you are handled appropriately and to the quality expected.
• Participating in customer calls and meetings in support of / in place of Service Delivery team members.
• Review ticket activity on Custom accounts in order to identify patterns which could be indicative of broader issues.
• Identify local/systemic procedural weaknesses in our support model (poorly authored AMGs, etc), and bring these to the attention of the relevant individuals.
• Forge relationships with your peers in our customers’ organization.
• Bridge the gap in your peers’ areas of expertise where necessary and assist in their education where possible.
• Preparation, QC and scheduling of changes.
• Participate in Tech Council meetings, Automation Forums, LE meetings, Support huddles, etc.
• Expert in Microsoft technology, but competent in Linux and associated ecosystem.
• Creative, detail oriented and tenacious problem solver.
• Needs to be able to demonstrate a strong working knowledge of complementary technologies: Databases, networking, storage and backup technologies.
• Understand when one of these technologies is likely to be an obstacle to a proposed solution and identify what is required to address this.
• Strong understanding of the Rackspace product portfolio.
• Able to demonstrate an understanding of our competitors’ Cloud and hosting offerings and can converse on the topic.
• Excellent problem-solving abilities, coupled with a desire to take on responsibility.
• Scripting skills in PowerShell, Python or other versatile scripting language is desirable.
• Ability to handle multiple tasks and prioritise work in order to maintain required productivity levels.
• Ability to create and maintain detailed documentation.
• The desire to continually expand knowledge of new developments and trends; make recommendations to management on desirable additions and developments.
• Equally comfortable with working with a team or solo.
• Willing to share your knowledge and experience and prepared to mentor your peers.
• A self-starter who takes full ownership and accountability, while being happy to regularly interact with customers.
• Possesses good written and verbal communication skills