Windows & Networking Administrator
A System Administrator is a key element within the Rackspace support infrastructure and is expected to provide a high level of technical support to our customers over the phone and via support tickets. A System Administrator is the owner of complex customer issues which may take several days or weeks to resolve. The Sys Admin applies creative problem-solving techniques to identify the source of problems; while at the same time keeping the customer updated via the ticketing system and phone. A System Administrator is expected to use initiative and advise on potential pitfalls that a customer may experience, using existing or planned methods, and suggest alternatives that may better serve the stability and security of the customer’s solution.
Maintains diagnoses and administers customer’s solutions using the Windows platform. Responsible for solving customer's technical issues which can include OS level, web server, database server, applications server, DNS, SMTP or other software issues. Creates and maintains customer loyalty by serving customers above and beyond their expectations. Exercises ethical judgment in decision making in order to routinely deliver FANATICAL customer support.
- Ability to read and interpret Firewall and Load Balancer configurations.
- Ability to maintain and troubleshoot FTP, HTTP, SSL, and SMTP mail flow.
- Thorough working knowledge of DNS to include record type requirements.
- Ability to identify and troubleshoot server performance issues using native OS tools and utilities.
- Thorough understanding of clustering requirements; ability to build and maintain Microsoft Windows clusters.
- Ability to troubleshoot Active Directory communication issues.
- Ability to install and modify database components; troubleshoot job and/or maintenance plan failures.
- Thorough understanding of server hardware components to include RAID configurations and externally attached storage devices.
- General understanding of server-side scripting uses.
- Strong working knowledge of IIS to include the ability to maintain and troubleshoot multiple websites and the use of advanced configuration options.
- Database backup and restore procedures.
- Microsoft Networking Operating Systems to include advanced performance tuning and monitoring.
- IIS and advanced configuration options, including the ability to identify and diagnose application issues using IIS diagnostic tools.
- Microsoft SQL configuration and troubleshooting skills to include: Clustering, Mirroring, Replication, and the implementation of all optional components.
- Thorough understanding of server hardening process using Microsoft’s defined security practices.
- Experience configuring and troubleshooting an active directory environment, to include: domain level trusts, cross domain communication & multi-site replication.
- Share information and knowledge with the support floor as appropriate.
Key Performance Indicators
- Contribution: 80% of average for your job level and OS: Working as a team to serve our customers means that we are all contributing towards this goal.
- Demonstrate Fanatical Support: Providing examples of feedback received by customers showing their appreciation of the Fanatical Support you have directly have provided and influenced.
- Ticket Reviews: Providing mentoring and development for other techs is an important part of your role that helps others to develop and ensures we are delivering the highest possible standards to our customers.
- High ticket review percent average - 95% or higher
- Adherence to defined Maintenance Processes, resulting in high level of first pass yield on written or QC'd maintenance
Geographical remit – Americas customer base
MAIN CONTACTS (external/internal):
Customers (phone and ticketing system)
Resolve Issues, Seek / Respond to feedback to assist in issue resolution
Develop Relationships and collaborate on issues
Internal Support Departments
Engage with internal departments and work together to resolve customer issues
- Bachelor’s degree and 5 years of related work experience.
- At the manager’s discretion, additional relevant experience may substitute for the degree requirement at a rate of 3 years experience for 1 year of higher education. High school diploma/GED required.Certifications (i.e., MCSE, A+, CompTIA, MySQL, CCNA, CCIE) an advantage.
- Uses skills as a seasoned experienced professional with a full understanding of industry practices and company policies and procedures; resolves a wide range of issues in imaginative as well as practical ways.
- Has mastered the Systems Administration role to this point.
- Handles the longer running issues with tickets potentially lasting for weeks.
- Takes on the high risks tasks and is a mentor to all junior colleagues.
- Work with Lead Windows Engineers supporting ongoing technical projects.
- Constantly improving our Support model and practices and sharing knowledge with team.
- Longer running support issues.
- In charge of cluster builds for new implementations.
- Performs root analysis of problems.
- Deals with compromised servers.
- Migration advice and point of contact for customers.
- Self-driven; ability to manage position without direct supervision.
- Acts as a mentor to other System Administrators.
- Creating of documentation for the development of standards and processes within the Windows Support Teams.
- Willingness to work weekends and holidays when required as business dictates.