Linux Systems Engineer III
Linux Systems Engineer - Monitoring
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITY: At multiple team/product level, responsible for implementation of complex OS architectural design of hardware, software and/or networking systems.
* KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS/ABILITY: Advanced to expert knowledge of: OSs and distributions, patching, monitoring, RAID, security, web servers, cluster management, high availability, root cause analysis, systems optimization, configuration and source code management, database administration, scripting language, auth/directory services, backups, caching, SSL certificates, storage, packet analysis, DNS , HTTP, FTP, SNMP, SSH, MySQL, hardware, virtualization, networking, firewalls, load balancing, troubleshooting, stack trace analysis, methodologies of design and implementation. Advance to expert knowledge of Linux, Shell or Python Scripting. Able to resolve problems in a timely manner. Understand automation principles and design. Demonstrate ability to learn and adapt to Rackspace specific tools. Seeks out guidance and knowledge. Understanding and knowledge of adjacent roles. Beginning understanding of business impact. Provide constructive feedback during systems/code reviews and design sessions. Understands architectural principles (e.g. high availability, security, business continuity, etc).
- Knowledge of Monitoring tools such as EM7, UIM or HP Openview.
- Strong Linux Administration skills.
- Knowledge of MySQL.
- Python Scripting.
- Knowledge of SMP, SSH or PCI are a big plus.
* JOB COMPLEXITY: Responsible for implementation of complex architectural design of hardware, software and/or networking systems. Analyzes systems and determines business requirements. Ensures completeness and compatibility of the technical infrastructure to support system performance. Keeps informed of new technology. Follow and execute Rackspace change management. Contribute and organize central store of knowledge. Represents team in interdepartmental meetings. Participates in systems/code reviews and design sessions. Facilitates Root Cause Analysis sessions. Evaluate changes using RPN methods and develop MOPs for changes. Delivers brown bags/tech talks to internal groups Take full ownership of product life cycle.
* SUPERVISION: Receives little to no instruction on day-to-day work. Determines methods and procedures on new assignments. Mentors junior staff.
* EXPERIENCE/EDUCATION: Requires a minimum of 7 years experience. Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related technical field preferred.
* PHYSICAL DEMANDS: General office environment. Some stress may occur at times. Some lifting up to 20 pounds required.
RGS Requirements: Candidate will need to be a US citizen (FedRAMP clearance will be required once started