Backup Administrator I - UK
Managed Backup (MBU) team provides backup and restore services to the majority of Rackspace’s dedicated customer base. MBU performs around 180,000 backups weekly and maintains an over 99% success rate using CommVault enterprise backup solution. MBU administrators’ setup and manage customer backup configurations and troubleshoot backup failures so we can perform restores of customer data when needed.
- Contribute to the success of the team, prioritizing work based on the needs of our customers and the business.
- Resolve escalated customer backup and restore issues. Able to effectively work with and manage escalations with all other Rackspace departments.
- Troubleshooting of backup failures and issue resolution on multiple platforms with varied configurations.
- Perform emergency data restorations for server, file system and or databases upon customer request in a calm and controlled fashion while maintaining consistent, professional communication with the customer.
- Proactively look to improve and add efficiency to current processes and exercise judgment in the decision-making process to provide consistent FANATICAL customer service.
- Share and provide training, troubleshooting, technical advice and direction to other members of the team.
- Work on projects to further efficiency and/or effectiveness of the MBU function.
- Responsible for adhering to company security policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of data backup and restoration methodologies.
- Basic understanding and ability to navigate and control Operating Systems including Microsoft Windows Server (2008, 2012, 2016), Linux Red Hat and CentOS (4x, 5x, 6x, 7x)
- Basic knowledge of TCP/IP, DNS, Email and networking
- Basic general understanding of databases including Microsoft SQL 2008, 2012, 2016 (Enterprise & Standard) plus MySQL (4x, 5x, 6x).
- Experience using CommVault backup applications on client servers is a distinct advantage.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Able to communicate in a clear and concise manner both in written form of emails and ticket comments plus verbally on the phone.
- Excellent time management, prioritization and organizational skills.
- Able to work well under pressure and in stressful situations while supporting a customer base of over 5500.
- Self-motivated; ability to maintain excellence in service without reliance on supervision.