SAP Database Administrator
Job Title: Linux Support Enterprise Engineer
Function: Lead Engineer III - UK
Location: Hayes / Remote
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITY: Support SUSE Linux environment running SAP application. Serves as a key element within the Rackspace support infrastructure and has ownership of technical support for a designated customer base. Provides consulting service to customers on building, maintaining, and upgrading systems to meet customer needs. Applies creative problem-solving techniques to identify the source of problems, while at the same time keeping the customer aware of every step along the way. Analyzes customer configurations, uses initiative and advises on potential pitfalls that a customer may experience using existing or planned methods and suggests alternatives that may better serve the stability of the customer’s solution. Proposes and implements system enhancements (software and hardware updates) that will improve the performance and reliability of the system. Solves customer's technical issues which can include OS level, webserver, database server, applications server, DNS, SMTP, user management and permissions, or other software issues. This role may be on call 24x7x365 and is the premier role of Fanatical Support
- Expert working knowledge of SUSE Enterprise Linux OS version 11 and 12
- Strong knowledge of DNS, including diagnostics with UNIX tools.
- Fluency in at least one scripting/coding language: Bash, Python, Perl
- Hands-on knowledge of SSH, iptables, NFS, DNS, DHCP, and LDAP
- In-depth knowledge of the RHEL Operating Systems, VMWare and Oracle Virtual platform
- Experience with Dell/HP server hardware configurations and tools
- Advanced knowledge of relevant web services, mail, Linux and monitoring applications
- Attention to detail in documenting information and ability to show ownership of follow through in customer resolutions
- Solid problem-solving abilities coupled with a desire to take on responsibility
- Strong written and verbal communications skills, bi-lingual skills a plus. Strong presentation skills
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships with key external stakeholders at various business levels
- Acts as a SME for specialized technologies, and is viewed as a valuable resource on the support floor
- Identifies and executes technical projects to improve the technical support function at Rackspace
- Owns the technical support for the customer base; tracks issues, ensures resolution at the appropriate level
- Ensures customers receive a Fanatical Support experience
- Understands customer configurations and analyzes strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats
- Receives and resolves issues escalated from lower level admins
- Creates and maintains customer loyalty by serving customers above an beyond their expectations
- Due to the 24x7 operations of the business, must be able to work a flexible work schedule, may include nights, weekends, holidays, emergency escalations, etc.
- Performs tasks with little supervision, receives escalations from others
- Solid understanding of SAP system components, patching and upgrade options
- Advanced knowledge of SAP In depth knowledge of SAP system components, connectivity and integration with other systems.
- Hands-on experience with SAP application installation and configuration on SUSE Enterprise platform
- Familiarity with Public Cloud IaaS offerings such as Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, IBM Bluemix and Google Cloud Platform.
- Understanding of advanced database, application, and server technologies.
- Understanding of high availability, Disaster Recovery solutions and database systems architectural design.
- Requires a Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field
- 10+ years system administration experience requiring expert level SUSE OS knowledge and advanced knowledge of SAP.
- Familiarity with Rackspace tools, systems and infrastructure. Linux+, RHCSA, and RHCE certifications preferred.
- A high school diploma and 12 years of additional relevant experience may substitute for the degree requirement.