Environmental Health & Safety Engineer
This individual will be responsible for supporting and maintaining the environmental health, safety and loss prevention programs in a specified region. The EH&S Engineer will work with the plant leadership team to ensure compliance with all local, state and federal laws as well as company requirements, to reduce risk of injury to team members and to ensure the company reaches its goal of leading the marketplace in a manner which is safe, efficient and environmentally friendly.
- Manage the administration of environmental, health and safety practices in the assigned region.
- Provide daily guidance and enforce the safety policies, procedures and guidelines as set out by the Company.
- Coordinate all aspects of proactive safety, environmental and loss prevention programs and related topics, including investigating and acting on any type of employee complaint, safety, or loss prevention concerns.
- Facilitate training for employees, such as new hire orientation, lift truck, right to know and other safety, environmental and loss prevention related topics.
- Coordinate regular plant safety, environmental and housekeeping audits. Perform audits and issue reports to appropriate managers.
- Perform the various monitoring functions for environmental compliance and maintain all logs and documentation associated with permits and regulatory requirements.
- Review and assist plants in the region with review of accident reports and determination of root cause.
- Assist plant leadership with information and training for the plant safety committee.
- Observe and analyze workforce performance with regard to safety and recommend specific measures, changes in procedures or amendments to safety program.
- Respond to questions regarding safety and environmental issues.
- Act as an advisor and coach for accident investigation on an as needed basis.
- For the larger plants in the region, liaison with outside physicians/vendors pertaining to industrial injuries.
- Advise plants in the region on injury and illness reporting and OSHA recordkeeping. Provide support to managers and supervisors with safety/environmental and ergonomic needs.
- Travel to locations, in the region, as required and perform any additional duties as required.
- BS/BA in Occupational Health and Safety, industrial hygiene, Industrial engineering or related discipline.
- Co-op experience in EHS is preferable.
- knowledge/understanding of safety procedures, regulations and practices.
- Strong working knowledge of MS Excel, Word, PowerPoint.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision
- First aid training and knowledge preferred.