This is a great opportunity to be an integral part of a team building Qualys’ next generation microservices based technology platform processing over a 100 million transactions and terabytes of data per day, leverage open source technologies, and work on challenging and business-impacting projects.
We are seeking a highly motivated and talented Manager, Engineering to lead development work on Security Applications that are part of Qualys’ next-generation Patch Management product. Working with a team of engineers and architects, you will be responsible for prototyping, designing, developing and supporting highly scalable SaaS-based cloud security service. This is a great opportunity to build next generation micro-services based products of Qualys that process over 100 million transactions, and terabytes of data per day, leveraging open source as well as proprietary technologies.
The ideal candidate has a proven track record of building enterprise-ready, scalable SaaS products, and is a creative thinker, problem solver, teacher, learner, and a fantastic manager of people.
- Passionate about building a world class team that excels at developing innovative Security SaaS products
- Customer focused and highly driven to solve real problems for customers
- Create high-performance APIs, libraries and micro-services that scale to meet/exceed the demands of processing over a 100 million transactions and terabytes of data per day
- Ensure highly available services with zero downtime. Be responsible for developing and running the SaaS service in partnership with the SRE and operations teams.
- Ensure that you maximize the productivity of your team, especially by predicting and resolving obstacles and dependencies before they’re faced
- Ensure collaboration, communication, and set proper expectations across teams
- Put in place and enforce best-in-class processes for ensuring high quality and high uptime for the product developed by the team
- Research, evaluate and adopt next-generation technologies
- Produce high-quality software following good architecture and design principles that you and your team will find easy to work with in the future
- Participate in architecture reviews related to non-functional aspects of the product
- 12+ years hands-on development experience including relevant experience developing SaaS-based software products and solutions for service-oriented deployments in public (AWS, Azure, Rackspace, etc.) or private clouds.
- 3+ years of experience in managing a team of engineers and architects.
- Ability to lead and influence team members to forge consensus on technical discussions including architectural and design guidelines, code reviews, release process, etc.
- Strong Java programming skills including object-oriented design, prototyping, development, testing, profiling, etc.
- Knowledge of JVM concepts like garbage collection, heap, stack, profiling, class loading, etc.
- Have built scalable SaaS platforms utilizing microservices/distributed systems architecture using:
- RESTful APIs consumed by internal and external partners
- Messaging middleware using JMS, AMQP, Kafka, NATS, etc.
- In-memory caching using Redis, Memcached, etc.
- Persistence in RDBMS or NoSQL Systems
- Applied principles of site reliability engineering for monitoring and alerting of applications
- Strong analytical and debugging skills
- Strong in data structures and algorithms
- BS/MS degree in Computer Science
- Experience with RDBMS systems (preferably Oracle)
- Experience with NoSQL databases (preferably Cassandra)
- Experience with Elastic Search
Bonus Points If You Have
- Managing full Product Life cycle and releases
- Expertise in Security and/or ITIL based Config Management domain
- Experience with container and orchestration technologies such as Docker, Kubernetes etc
- Experience with monitoring tools such as Graphite, Grafana, and Prometheus
- Experience with Hashicorp technologies such as Consul, Vault, Terraform and Vagrant
- Experience with configuration management tools such as Chef, Puppet or Ansible
- In-depth experience with continuous integration and continuous deployment pipelines
- Exposure to Maven, Ant or Gradle for builds