Data & Analytics Practice Leader
Propeller is an employee-owned management consulting firm with offices in Portland, San Francisco, Silicon Valley and Denver. We’re consultants, fixers, and change makers - but mostly we're a company full of people who love the adventure of solving complex problems.
Founded in 2012 and headquartered in Portland, OR, Propeller has grown to over 120 employees. In 2020, we were named to Fortune’s 100 Best Medium Workplaces and have received repeated local and national recognition for our firm’s commitment to employees, fast growth, and service to the communities in which we work.
Propeller may be for you if you love taking on difficult challenges and delivering creative solutions. When you don’t have all the answers, you’ll roll up your sleeves and dig in to find them. You are curious. You thrive in the unknown. You have the grit and tenacity to continue moving projects forward while guiding clients and project teams through ambiguous challenges.
As Propeller continues to grow, we are looking for a servant leader to develop our Data & Analytics Practice. Our projects are often complex and global; involve large client teams and executive stakeholders; and require creativity, commitment to quality, and functional expertise in cloud-based data architectures and advanced analytics.
Reporting to Propeller’s CEO, this is a unique opportunity to lead and grow Propeller’s Data & Analytics Practice. You’ll guide the Data & Analytics Practice team to develop and refine service offerings, while partnering with account management and business development teams to identify, scope and deliver a wide variety of data and analytics solutions for our clients. You'll coach and mentor consultants of varying experience levels to develop their skills while ensuring high quality delivery and client satisfaction.
- 6-12 years of experience in data and software engineering, analytics, business intelligence, management consulting, or other relevant roles
- Proven ability to develop relationships, drive new business, and design creative solutions to a client's most complex problems
- Strong domain knowledge and ability leading analytics, data science, data engineering, or business intelligence teams
- Experience with cloud platforms (AWS, Azure, Google Cloud, etc.); one or more relevant certifications preferred
- Demonstrated ability to develop an organizational data strategy
- Demonstrated ability to create and drive roadmaps for analytics projects
- Proficiency in statistical or data processing language such as SQL, R, Python (Pandas/Scipy/Numpy)
- Exposure to a big data environment and tools such as Hive, Impala, Pig, Spark, etc.
- Familiarity with machine learning techniques and libraries along with the ability to appropriately apply them to various business questions
- Strong communication skills. You're able to translate complex findings and results into a compelling narrative and you're able to communicate with technical and non-technical stakeholders alike.
- Bachelor’s degree in a quantitative field (e.g. data science, computer science, engineering, etc.); advanced degree preferred
- Commitment to personal growth and ability to mentor and motivate team members of all skill levels
- A strong bias toward action, natural curiosity, and an eagerness to go above and beyond
- Willingness and ability to travel up to 50% of the time (post-COVID)
- Grow Propeller’s Data & Analytics Practice using a combination of business development, thought leadership, high-quality project delivery, and talent development
- Discover, scope, and oversee delivery of a wide variety of Data & Analytics solutions for our clients
- Model a people first approach through effective coaching, mentoring, development of career paths, and modeling superior management and leadership skills
- Participate in industry forums, events, and speaking engagements, and internal training, helping to further build Propeller’s voice and presence as a leader in this domain
- Foster relationships with business partners and find consensus within large groups of stakeholders with disparate objectives and needs
We believe in fairly and equally compensating our employees for their time and experience. We do that by offering a competitive salary, uncapped bonus eligibility, an employee stock ownership program and many other benefits. There is a wide range of salaries based on years of experience, specific skillsets, anticipated marketability to Propeller’s clients and location. Specific ranges will be discussed in the later stages of a candidate’s interview process.
Interviews for this position will occur on a rolling basis and the position will remain open until filled.
This position is temporarily remote but is expected to be in-person once Propeller employees return to the office in accordance with local health guidance. Candidates should currently live within one of Propeller’s geographies (Portland, San Francisco, Denver or Silicon Valley) or plan to relocate when normal operations resume.
Propeller is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). We are committed to attracting, developing, and advancing the most talented individuals regardless of their race, sexual orientation, religion, age, gender, disability status or any other dimension of diversity.