We’re Progress – we offer the best products to develop, deploy, and manage high-impact business applications. We are bold, forward-thinking innovators who build solutions that work and care about our customers. We invent and reinvent every day, work together as one, value and respect each other, and cheer our wins. Join us as a Counsel working out of your home office in the United States.
As a member of the Progress Software Legal team, the successful candidate for this position will be responsible for advising management and other internal clients with respect to commercial matters and customer-facing transactions within the Core B/DevTools and Core C/Chef business lines, as well as serving as the legal advisor on product-release matters. Candidates for this position will be qualified lawyers with strong business experience. In-house experience in the IT industry is essential, ideally in the software sector. The ideal candidate will have experience with – and will thrive on – working as a self-starter in an environment that is fast-paced, business and results-oriented and team-based.
WHAT YOU WILL DO IN THIS ROLE:
- Develop and maintain solid working knowledge of the business through close involvement with sales personnel and other constituents throughout the organization. Key business relationships are with Sales, Finance, Operations, Product Management and Business Line executives.
- Advise internal clients, particularly the Sales and Product teams for DevTools and Chef product lines, with respect to a wide variety of business issues and legal matters pertaining to contracts and licensing, including drafting and negotiating end-user, cloud subscription, support, professional services, non-disclosure, distributor, reseller, OEM and inbound-technology procurement agreements for Progress products and services.
- Understand and support public company controls and procedures.
- Create contract templates and provide training to different Sales teams on selection, completion, and deployment of appropriate contract templates, negotiation thresholds, order acceptance issues, and other contract related points.
- Work with Progress Legal team colleagues responsible for the data protection practice area, as well as other constituents throughout the organization as needed, in the negotiation of BAAs, Data Processing Addenda, and commercial contract terms and conditions relating to data protection and security.
- Develop and implement projects to simplify processes, automate, eliminate bottlenecks, and scale in response to higher sales volume to drive value and efficiency for the business and the legal department.
- A qualified attorney admitted to practice in one or more states in the United States and a member of one or more state Bar(s) in good standing, with 5 or more years of experience as in-house counsel (law firm experience helpful but not required);
- Substantial experience in the software licensing industry (with expertise in various licensing models, products and services), including experience with enterprise transactions, on-premises licensing, SaaS/cloud offerings, channels, open source software and software development practices;
- Working knowledge of data privacy and security requirements.
- In-house experience with a publicly traded company and/or demonstrated knowledge of best practice internal controls, procedures, risk surveillance, dispute management and escalation.
- Working knowledge of revenue recognition rules and ability to assist in assuring that all agreements conform to then current revenue recognition rules and company policies, and that exceptions made to company policies are properly authorized and approved.
- Experience interacting with Sales organizations through platforms such as Salesforce.
- Excellent oral and written presentation and interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex legal issues and solutions to clients clearly and succinctly, develop credibility and earn trust at all levels of the business organization.
- Proven analytical, time management, and problem-solving skills.
- Strong ethical practice and commitment to professional responsibility.
- Confident, talented, independent and highly motivated with the ability to accept significant responsibility.
- Positive attitude and self starter.
- Excels in a fast-paced, demanding environment.
- Able to successfully manage competing priorities and work independently on a wide range of issues and projects, while delivering quality work under demanding deadlines.
- A team player, able to learn from and share experiences with other members of the Progress Legal team.
Here at Progress, we truly care about your employee experience. It is important to us for our employees to balance their work and home life, obtain viable options for their health and wellness, grow their career, and plan for financial success.
The Progress benefits package is designed to recognize the diverse needs of our work force. We offer a variety of benefits for your health care needs, including four medical plans that meet any need or budget. Take advantage of our financial benefits, including an Employee Stock Purchasing Plan and a 401(k) with a company match! In addition to a variety of options to continue your career growth, Progress offers a generous Tuition Reimbursement program.
Progress provides flexibility to our employees through Flexible Vacation Time, Flexible Hours, and telecommuting options. Take time to bond with your newest family addition through our Parental Leave options. Or celebrate you by enjoying a birthday holiday! You can even give back to the community through our community service time off.
Progress is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer!
Together, We Make Progress
Progress is an inclusive workplace where opportunities to succeed are available to everyone. As a multicultural company serving a global community, we encourage a wide range of points of view and celebrate our diverse backgrounds. Our unique combination of perspectives inspires innovation, connects us to our customers and positively affects our communities. It is only by working together and learning from each other that we make Progress. Join us!