Technical Support Engineer
We’re Progress – we offer the best platform for building and deploying tomorrow’s applications quickly and easily. We are bold, forward-thinking innovators who build things that work and care about our customers. We invent and reinvent every day, work together as one, value and respect each other and cheer our wins. Join us as a Technical Support Engineer in Galway, Ireland.
In this role, you will be providing world-class technical support and service for the Progress’ Network Monitoring What'sUp Gold product suite. The team is a part of a worldwide organization with team members in North America and Western Europe and we focus on assisting our partners and end-users with the understanding, configuration and troubleshooting of our products. We are a close-knit, passionate team who likes to work hard and have fun while doing it!
Your area of responsibility:
- Provide technical assistance to evaluators, customers, resellers and Progress employees via telephone, customer portal tickets, email, Zoom, instant messaging or any other available communication option
- Assist with the installation, configuration, use, and maintenance of our software products
- Follow the processes and procedures for technical support workflow
- Diagnose and explain external hardware and software issues that affect the use and/or configuration of our software (e.g., environmental or network)
- Provide customers with information about Progress products and resources
- Ability to support new company products with an appropriate level of ‘on the job training’
- Interact professionally and courteously with all customers and peers. Easily approachable react calmly under stressful situations
- Communicate clearly and precisely with customers regarding expectations for callbacks, follow-ups regarding their issues, interactions with Development, and other open issues. Sets appropriate expectations for resolutions and workarounds for product defect
- Escalate product issues to management or other team members
- Log product defects and feature requests clearly in the corresponding systems
- Provide Development with clear and complete information, when Development assistance is required, carrying out recommended diagnostic steps and gathering information as necessary
- Demonstrate and applies a good understanding of knowledge capturing principles (e.g. create new knowledge resources and/or update the existing content - product demos, KB and technical articles/documentation, etc.)
- Review product documentation and identify topics needing improvement
- Responsible for professional self-development by attending formal and informal training (webinars, white papers) offered within the office and externally based on your development plan agreed with your manager. Option to enroll in Progress-sponsored security training resulting in certification through organizations such as CompTIA, SANS and (ISC)2
- Participate in forums, responds to technical questions, sharing product knowledge with colleagues
- Provide assistance to peers working in the same specialty area as well as handling issues outside of the area of specialty
- Occasional travel requirement
- Professional experience in a technical support software product environment troubleshooting Windows software applications and networking issues
- Strong customer service skills, including demonstrated ability to exercise good judgment in dealing with customer’s technical issues
- Bachelor’s Degree in an IT-related field or equivalent work experience desired
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including effective listening skills. Bilingual given extra consideration (German & French preferred).
- Proficiency in English adequate for complex communication with customers.
- Analytical and troubleshooting skills specific to software related issues.
- Basic Windows administration and configuration knowledge.
- Experience with web technologies (i.e. IIS, AS2, EDI, PGP, PKI, S/MIME, Apache)
- Basic knowledge of internet protocols (DNS, FTP, HTTP, LDAP, SMTP, SNMP, IMAP, SSL, POP3, SSH, WMI, TCP/IP, IPv4, IPv6, and IPSec)
- Experience in:
- Firewalls, switches, routers and wireless
- Windows Active Directory
- VMWare and/or other virtualization products a plus
- Knowledge of troubleshooting tools such as Telnet, Ping, TraceRT, NSLookup
- SQL (MySQL, SQL, Oracle) knowledge and database administration (configuration, queries, Management Studio) preferred
- Experience with a CRM or bug tracking system, extra consideration given for Jira, SalesForce and SalesForce Service Cloud experience desired
Additional consideration provided for individuals with the following experience:
- Managed file transfer, Network Management or E-mail and Messaging technologies
- Linux/Unix system administration and configuration
If the above fits your experience and career goals, we would be happy to hear from you! Apply now!
Together, We Make Progress
Progress is an inclusive workplace where opportunities to succeed are available to everyone. As a multicultural company serving a global community, we encourage a wide range of points of view and celebrate our diverse backgrounds. Our unique combination of perspectives inspires innovation, connects us to our customers and positively affects our communities. It is only by working together and learning from each other that we make Progress. Join us!