Lead Game Tools Engineer
About ProbablyMonsters Inc.
ProbablyMonsters™ is a builder of sustainable game studios that creates and launches original AAA games through a people-first culture. Our mission is to unite, guide, and empower talented teams to create exceptional interactive experiences. In an industry where new AAA studios and developer-focused cultures are equally rare, ProbablyMonsters stands out by fostering both with excellence. We empower our family of studios to concentrate on game creation while our platform team focuses on providing early stage infrastructure and long-term support. This unique development model provides each of our teams the confidence, security, and stability to create and ship their games free of distractions. Our family of studios includes: narrative-driven Cauldron Studios™, multiplayer-focused Firewalk Studios™, and our third studio, not named yet, already working on a next-gen co-op RPG game. Learn more about our people, culture, and commitment to exceptional creativity at probablymonsters.com
We are looking for a Lead Game Tools Engineer to help us redefine how games are made! In this critical role, you will build, lead, and support a team of engineers on a journey to discover the truth of how games are created within our diverse set of studios as well as aid each studio in overcoming active workflow hurdles. With that knowledge, you will also lead the team in crafting a set of world-class solutions designed to take the development workflows of all our studios to the next level.
Who You Are:
- You see game development as a team effort and are driven by seeing your team learn, grow, and succeed together in a respectful and supportive environment.
- You strive to proactively find solutions to the development workflow challenges faced by game teams, especially those challenges that seem impossible.
- You thrive on humbly engaging with creative teams and empowering them to realize their vision in the games and content they create.
- You enjoy writing high quality, flexible, easily maintainable, performant software and thoughtfully supporting others to do the same.
What You Will Do:
- Partner with our game studios to learn the details of how they operate and the best ways we can empower and support them.
- Collaborate with our game studios and the ProbablyMonsters engineering team to design and implement state-of-the-art tools, utilities, and workflow solutions to support all our studios.
- Lead, support, and empower a team of engineers in developing long term strategies and technical vision while also fostering a collaborative team culture that promotes skill, career, and personal growth.
- Thoughtfully instrument the tools and processes we use to discover and validate valuable workflow improvement strategies.
- Develop new engineering skills alongside your team as you engage in the development of multiple AAA games simultaneously.
- Promote a culture of quality, reliability, and customer-focus.
- At least five years of experience building tools for game development.
- At least two years of experience building tools in C#/C++ or game functionality inside of a AAA game engine using C++.
- Experience supporting the development and retail release of at least one game.
- Experience leading and/or managing a team of engineers.
- An interest to becoming an expert in Unreal Engine 4.