About Cauldron Studios
Cauldron Studios™, a ProbablyMonsters studio, is developing a narrative-driven AAA game. We are looking for a world-class Senior Designer who can work with design leadership to implement compelling combat experiences from conceptualization to implementation utilizing Unreal 4. The ideal candidate has a strong technical understanding of Unreal, a firm grasp on how to leverage character animation, state machines, and controller systems with the ability to marry them together to create dynamic experiences for the player. They would demonstrate a high level of proficiency, experience, and passion for tuning and balancing a large suite of systems, behaviors, and encounters in a live environment.
Who You Are:
- You are a world-class experience designer with a passion for the player combat loop, building riveting enemy combatant behaviors, and a deep bench of player navigation ideas to make moving through the world exciting.
- You have 5+ years of AAA player-focused design and have shipped at least one AAA game.
- You understand how to take existing interconnected systems and push their boundaries yielding great moment-to-moment experiences.
- You have deep combat design experience with a focus on the Player's tool kit.
- You can easily communicate, breakdown, and demonstrate the complex relationship of player and combatants engagements that make great water-cooler moments.
- You can identify and advocate for game improvements to the design director and other studio leads.
- You are an avid gamer with a love for dreaming up worlds and experiences to discover and explore.
- You can tell a story through your designs.
- You are comfortable with technical implementation, using game editors, scripting languages, and tools.
- You are excited to work collaboratively in a strong creative team environment.
- Exercises deep knowledge for character action games, third-person combat, as well as a keen eye for the game, feel and balance.
- Work closely with design leadership to design, implement, and polish compelling player-centric experiences.
- Execute across all stages of development: from verbal ideas to paper sketches to feature documentation and in-game implementation.
- Rapidly prototype character-based abilities within the engine to test out new ideas through a highly iterative process.
- Balance variables to create compelling combat experiences that cater to diverse playstyles.
- Drive project goals, priorities, and vision across interdisciplinary teams to deliver high features from start to finish.
- Own and refine combat features and improvement efforts, from ideation through delivery to players.
- Maintain clear and concise documentation for all mechanics, balance, and systems they are responsible for.
- 3+ years in a senior design role.
- Experience with the Unreal 4 Engine is a must.
- Understanding of gameplay subsystems and dependencies plus the ability to unify all elements together.
- Experience creating and owning features designed to appeal to broad audiences.
- Capable of working independently and in team environments.
- Driven to move fast, be decisive, and deliver world-class experiences.