World Art Director
About ProbablyMonsters™ Studios
ProbablyMonsters Studios is a developer-led independent game company with the mission to unite, guide, and empower talented teams to create exceptional original games while thriving in stable and meaningful careers.
Our 3 studios are each developing an original game:
• Firewalk™ is working on a new multiplayer IP to be exclusively published by PlayStation
• Cauldron™ is developing a single-player, adventure-driven game
• Our RPG Team is creating a next-gen co-op RPG
We recently announced the largest Series A raise in gaming history at $250 million, which provides our teams with the resources and creative environment needed to foster stable, rewarding, and life-long careers.
One of our unannounced teams is searching for a talented World Art Director to help build an exciting new game. Your goal is to lead the creation of visually immersive and exciting environments that our players will love. You will also be here to help us build a people-first & collaborative team that wants to create truly incredible player experiences.
Note this role is open to being fully remote.
- You can masterfully create and translate environment concepts and reference images into textured 3D models and elevate them with your own creative choices
- You have a detailed eye towards form, shape, structure, and composition
- You are extremely skilled with hard surface modeling, texturing, lighting as well as interior and exterior architectural design
- You enjoy both the macro and the micro and find cracks on a sidewalk to be as interesting as expertly crafted architectural masterpieces
- You keep the full game picture in mind and create assets that work in harmony with characters, narrative, effects, technology and game design
- You are well organized, work effectively with project planners, and dependably deliver tasks on time
- You can work with complete autonomy but find it deeply satisfying to collaborate with internal or external team members and clients
- You are proactive and curious about learning what is state of the art technology for your craft
- You are a positive, proactive problem solver that leads by example and contributes to our team culture
- You are fiercely passionate about games, what they mean to our players, and believe art should serve the broader player experience above pure aesthetic goals
What You Will Do
- Partner with our artists, designers, writers, producers, and engineers to develop an inspiring art vision for environments and create the assets that go into them
- Meet with designers to ensure your assets align with the overall gameplay goals and evaluate how they are working in context of the game
- Smartly model, texture and light environment assets that will efficiently run in real-time
- Define, iterate, and drive art style guides and necessary documentation to ensure internal and external teams are set up for success
- Provide exceptionally consistent, reliable, and outstandingly articulated notes, art direction and feedback
- Balance creativity and time management to deliver high quality results and feedback within deadlines
- Drive the development of efficient art pipelines
- Create beautiful skyboxes for exterior environments
- Playtest every day and give feedback, even on non-art related work
- 10+ years industry experience working on world art for video games
- Experience creating environment art pipelines and workflows
- Exceptional skills in 2D/3D software such as Photoshop, Substance, Maya, 3Ds Max and ZBrush
- Art leadership experience
- Adaptability to the latest technology in your discipline to aid in your craft
- Experience working with external vendors
- Incubation experience
- Competitive multiplayer experience
- Unreal engine experience
- Personnel management experience
- Have shipped a AAA video game title
Our Commitment To You
- A people-first culture founded on respect, trust, approachability, and accountability.
- A stable home that values your potential, deeply cares about your work-life balance, and is committed to investing in your craft and long-term career.
- Competitive benefits package including health and family benefits, employee assistance program, flexible and paid time off, financial benefits and professional and personal development.