Senior UI Engineer
About ProbablyMonsters’ Cauldron Team
At Cauldron, we’re passionate about empowering gamers to become the hero of their own adventures. We believe that a great story unites a global community, and we’re assembling the best creative talent in gaming to bring these stories – players’ stories – to life.
Our team is working on an original, industry-defining adventure game and seeks those who want to push the boundaries of not just their craft but player experiences and the industry as a whole.
Cauldron is proud to be part of ProbablyMonsters, which secured the largest Series A raise in gaming history at $250 million, providing our team with the resources and creative freedom needed to foster stable, rewarding, and life-long careers.
Our studio is looking for a Senior UI Engineer who is experienced in building robust, scalable UI on multiple platforms. Being able to support the creation, communication and execution of technical plans through all stages of a games production including post release while demonstrating a full understanding of area of specialization. This includes participation in the development of technical design specifications and software. Additionally, this role will play a critical role in driving future UI and gameplay features between gameplay programmers, UI designers, and UI artists.
The salary range for this position is $147,800 to $221,700. This range represents the salary for the position commensurate with experience, knowledge, and demonstrated success in the field.
WHO YOU ARE:
- You are an effective communicator and collaborator across multiple disciplines.
- You possess strong engineering fundamentals and C++ knowledge.
- You are familiar with modern game UI design paradigms and how to discern appropriate approaches.
- You are able to strike an appropriate balance between up-front design and iterative development for the task at hand.
- You strive to build systems that exemplify ease-of-use, robustness, maintainability, and extensibility.
- You are results oriented.
- Works on problems of diverse scope where analysis of information requires evaluation of identifiable factors.
- Devises solutions based on limited information and precedent and adapts existing approaches to resolve issues.
- Uses evaluation, judgment, and interpretation to select right course of action Work is done independently and is reviewed fat critical points.
- Full end-to-end ownership of a domain level large system or technology - Examples are Inventory Screens, HUD, Quick Bars, Settings, Accessibility, etc.
- Will drive technical decisions required to make actionable tasks alongside multiple stakeholders.
- Work closely with designers, artists, and animators to gather requirements and own feature development.
- Debugging features of the system reducing engineering dependencies when the system is used by non-technical team members.
- Build, improve, and maintain UI systems.
- Implement a big system so it can be used iteratively by the stakeholders.
- Actively guide and mentor the team through code reviews for the owned domain and provides technical feedback on design decisions and specs.
- Proactively identifies and anticipates technical issues, edge cases and performance related aspects (and works to provide knowledge and tools to measure those aspects).
- Can operate in the interest of the game and find tasks to work on that may have long term impact on the game.
- Will work side by side with designers and other disciplines using Unreal throughout the full cycle of development to ship a game.
- Will help gauge and understand performance costs of game systems to help diagnose, debug, and optimize.
- Work with leaders and engineers across the company to understand need and align priorities.
- Extensive knowledge and full understanding of area of specialization, principles and practices within a professional discipline.
- Ability to enhance relationships and network with senior internal/external partners who are not familiar with the subject matter often requiring persuasion.
- Preferred experience writing UI code for shipped games.
- Proficient in one or more of the following platforms: UE or a proprietary game engine.
- Strong programming and software architecture skills; preferably in C++.
- Experience working with large, cross-discipline teams within Video Games.
- Strong understanding of 3D Math; Preferably Vector Math, Animation Transforms, Physics etc.
- A people-first culture founded on respect, trust, approachability, and accountability.
- A stable home that values your potential, deeply cares about your work-life balance, and is committed to investing in your craft and long-term career.
- We offer a competitive benefits package, including a sign-on bonus; annual stock option grants; health coverage (medical, dental, vision) paid at 100% for the employee and subsidized by the Company for dependents; Flexible Spending Account eligibility; life, accidental death, and disability insurance coverage; annual 401K contribution by the Company; Employee Assistance Program; and extensive paid time off plus holiday closures.
ProbablyMonsters is an independent AAA video game company that aims to change the way games are made and inspire a better industry for all. Our mission is to unite, guide, and empower talented teams to redefine what it means to create exceptional games. Each team is led by creative leaders united under a strong, focused vision. They're given the resources and creative environment needed to foster stable, life-long careers while delivering industry-defining games within a healthy, rewarding culture.