Director of Engineering, Developer Services
ProbablyMonsters is an independent AAA video game company that aims to change the way games are made and inspire a better industry for all. Our mission to unite, guide, and empower talented teams to redefine what it means to create exceptional games within a healthy, rewarding culture.
Our 3 development teams are each creating an original game:
- Firewalk™ is working on a new multiplayer IP to be exclusively published by PlayStation
- Cauldron™ is developing an adventure game
- Battle Barge™ is creating a co-op RPG
We are seeking a Director of Engineering, Developer Services who is experienced in building and running the technical teams that are needed to support multiple game development studios. Specifically, has envisioning and collaboratively built shared technology platforms that successfully enabled game teams to build & ship games efficiently.
The role for Director of Engineering, Developer Services is responsible for the technical direction, roadmap, hiring, budgeting, and management of our software development groups that are building shared tools and systems for our games. This requires a strong understanding of the entire game development process as well as the ability to partner directly with game teams to surface & review their requirements. Also requires the ability to take point on the design and often first coded implementations of these systems. This role also leads collaboration with other support departments such as design, art, IT, production, and publishers to ensure there are no tech barriers that will stop studios from delivering games on time at the highest quality standards. The Director of development services is also responsible for hiring of software engineers and leads, building stable and healthy teams, supporting individuals' craft growth and their careers.
The salary range for this position is $230,000 - $356,400. This range represents the salary for the position commensurate with experience, knowledge, and demonstrated success in the field.
WHO YOU ARE:
- Worked in all technical areas of game development and have shipped several games.
- Very detailed orientated and not afraid to make decisions once all the information is understood.
- Able to balance multiple competing requests and make people understand the outcome.
- Have a strong desire to help get more great games out there for people to play.
- Is always looking for ways to improve the status quo and never stops asking why?
- Able to communicate very effectively with all different disciplines.
- Work with our game teams and internal division to solve high profile & impacting problem.
- Develop strong relationships with key technology partners to keep our development process optimized.
- Ensure our teams are driven to solve the highest ROI real world problems.
- Support data driven investigations and prioritization whenever practical.
- Take the Lead on recruiting efforts to staff up the development teams.
- Implement and hold teams to meaningful software engineer best practices.
- Be observant and help people become better every day.
- Shipped both PC and Console games.
- Well versed in large scale development using C++.
- Has designed, built and over time improved technology platforms.
- Examples of building and keeping to a staffing plan and budget.
- Effectively anticipated technology shifts and designed to minimize impact.
- Knows all the patterns to minimize cross platform development overhead.
- Has successfully worked with outside development partners.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Requires proficiency in at least a few programming languages: C/C++, python, c#.
- Is not afraid to pivot quickly when situations change.
- 15 or more years of related or equivalent experience.
- Has shipped games on both the unreal engine and custom engines.
- Has sim shipped on multiple consoles platforms.
- Has developed on Linux.
- A people-centric culture founded on respect, trust, approachability, and accountability.
- A stable home that values your potential, deeply cares about your work-life balance, and is committed to investing in your craft and long-term career.
- Competitive benefits package, including a sign-on bonus; annual stock option grants; health coverage (medical, dental, vision) paid at 100% for the employee and subsidized by the Company for dependents; Flexible Spending Account eligibility; life, accidental death, and disability insurance coverage; annual 401K contribution by the Company; Employee Assistance Program; and extensive paid time off plus holiday closures.