Lead Technical Artist
At Cauldron, we are passionate about empowering gamers to become the hero of their own adventures. We believe that a great story unites a global community together, and we are excited to bring the best creative talent in interactive entertainment to bring these stories, your stories, to life. Proud to be part of the ProbablyMonsters family of studios, our team is working on an unannounced, original AAA Adventure game and eagerly welcome those interested in learning through collaboration and pushing the boundaries of their craft. We are looking for a world-class Lead Technical Artist that is an industry veteran and craft expert. They should demonstrate a deep understanding of tech art pipelines and look development and have a strong ability to facilitate cross-team development and collaboration throughout all development phases. They should be comfortable owning, driving, and refining Art pipeline and systems structure as well as taking over with existing projects that have already been set up.
Who You Are:
- You have experience in Technical Art with experience as a Technical Art Lead in AAA game development using UE4, with 1+ shipped title(s).
- You enjoy leading and mentoring Technical Artists with knowledge and skills that can only come from years of experience and the pursuit of best practices.
- You have comprehensive knowledge of modeling, texturing, shading, rigging, animation, lighting, and rendering principles and fundamentals.
- You hold comprehensive knowledge of Unreal Systems Architecture, Blueprint, and HLSL, with the ability to quickly prototype, develop, and distribute tools and libraries.
- You are experienced with optimizing and balancing performance for PC and console requirements maintain high quality visuals in an open world environment.
- You have a vast knowledge of current/up-coming tools and plugins used in content creation workflows (UE5 feature knowledge: Lumen and Niagara a plus)
- You enjoy Collaborating with Art/Animation Directors, Graphics Engineers, and external partners to help create/maintain our world-class workflows and tools.
- You always have creative solutions to difficult problems.
- You are experienced with and excited to work with the Unreal engine.
- You practice daily the ability to lead by example, mentoring and serving with kindness, composure, and diplomacy.
What You Will Do:
- Define the technical roadmaps and long-term vision for the tech art team and strategically plan against the needs of the various disciplines tech art supports.
- Build efficient internal pipelines and continuously identify art workflow problems during production, and work with TAs, engineers, and artists to solve them.
- Partner with teammates to set asset guidelines, align on production budgets and schedules, resolve cross-functional blockers, improve efficiency
- Constantly explore updated tooling, scripting optimizations, new workflows in asset construction, and regularly improve upon pipeline for delivering assets
- Provide requirement definitions and feature breakdowns for development/production plans while assessing technical art risks and providing mitigation options.
- Build and foster a tech art department and culture that values empowerment and self-accountability where creativity and self-direction flourish.
- Spearhead efforts to document and train Artists on the current tools and plugins while mentoring the Technical Artists in their supporting roles and responsibilities.
- Maintain relationships with development teams throughout projects to ensure art-related goals are progressing appropriately
- Educate cross-disciplinary teammates about technical and 3D art best practices, welcome the same from teammates in different disciplines, and contribute to a teamwide culture of learning and development
Established in 2016, ProbablyMonsters is a next-generation independent game company that creates long-lasting studios and exceptional games. Revolutionizing the way AAA game studios are built, ProbablyMonsters provides its teams the resources and creative environment needed to foster stable, rewarding, and life-long careers while delivering best-in-class entertainment through positive people-first culture.
We have built three studios so far. Each of them has a unique identity built around the type of gamer experience they are creating. Knit together inside the ProbablyMonsters family culture, all studios are bonded by the core values of respect, trust, accountability, and approachability.
Connected by the company’s mission to unite, guide, and empower developers to create exceptional entertainment experiences, developers at Cauldron are given the confidence, security, and stability to create and ship their games free of distractions.
Learn more at www.probablymonsters.com/careers