Cauldron Studios™, a ProbablyMonsters studio, is developing a narrative-driven AAA game. We are looking for a world-class Narrative Designer who can work with narrative leadership to implement compelling narrative experiences from conceptualization to implementation utilizing Unreal 4. The ideal candidate has a strong understanding of storytelling in narrative-driven games and the technical know-how to actualize that understanding in Unreal. They would demonstrate a high level of proficiency, experience, and passion for conveying purpose, capturing emotion, and creating compelling content in the game.
Who You Are:
- You are a world-class narrative designer with a passion for the player experience and a variety of creative storytelling techniques.
- You have shipped at least one AAA game in a design or narrative design role.
- You love diving into Unreal Blueprints, Sequences, and Cameras to develop workable solutions and designs that can be demonstrated to your peers and leads.
- You have a deep grasp of narrative that uplifts gameplay and the player's experience.
- You can easily communicate, breakdown, and demonstrate the complex relationship of player engagement with both narrative and design to create moments that stick with players well after the adrenaline of combat has worn off.
- You can identify and advocate for narrative opportunities to the narrative design director and other studio leads.
- You love dreaming up worlds to discover and explore, and use your designs to tell that story.
- You are excited to collaborate in a creative team environment.
What You Will Do:
- Integrate a script from the writers, and the designs from the systems team, to create an exciting moment-to-moment narrative experience.
- Exercise a deep knowledge of narrative-driven games, showcasing a keen ear for telling stories in a dynamic space with third-person combat.
- Work closely with the narrative and design leadership to design, implement, and polish compelling player-centric narrative experiences.
- Execute across all stages of development: from verbal ideas to feature documentation and in-game implementation.
- Prototype narrative-based gameplay within the engine to test our new ideas through an iterative process.
- Balance player intent and character motivation that caters to a diverse player base.
- Drive project goals, priorities, and vision across interdisciplinary teams to deliver high-quality features from start to finish.
- Own and refine narrative features and improvement efforts, from ideation through delivery to players.
- Maintain clear and concise documentation for designs and systems you develop.
- 3+ years in a narrative design role.
- Experience with Unreal 4 Engine is a must.
- Understanding of narrative systems and dependencies plus the ability to unify story and design together.
- Experience creating and owning narrative features and designs to appeal to a broad audience.
- Capable of working well in both independent and team environments.
- Driven to move fast, be decisive, and deliver world-class experiences.
About ProbablyMonsters Inc.
ProbablyMonsters™ is a builder of sustainable game studios that creates and launches original AAA games through a people-first culture. Our mission is to unite, guide, and empower talented teams to create exceptional interactive experiences. In an industry where new AAA studios and developer-focused cultures are equally rare, ProbablyMonsters stands out by fostering both with excellence. We empower our family of studios to concentrate on game creation while our platform team focuses on providing early stage infrastructure and long-term support. This unique development model provides each of our teams the confidence, security, and stability to create and ship their games free of distractions. Our family of studios includes: narrative-driven Cauldron Studios™, multiplayer-focused Firewalk Studios™, and our third studio, not named yet, already working on a next-gen co-op RPG game. Learn more about our people, culture, and commitment to exceptional creativity at probablymonsters.com.