Technical Mission Designer
About Cauldron Studios
Cauldron Studios™, a ProbablyMonsters studio, is developing a AAA game. We are looking for a world-class Technical Mission Designer who can work with narrative leadership to implement compelling stories and gameplay experiences, to go from concept to completion building in Unreal 4. The ideal candidate is a hands-on tool user with strong blueprint know-how and the ability to actualize narrative-driven gameplay in Unreal. They should demonstrate a high level of proficiency, experience, and passion for conveying purpose, capturing emotion, and creating compelling content in games.
Who You Are:
- Unreal is your tool of choice to create world-class player experiences through a variety of creative storytelling techniques.
- You have shipped at least one AAA game in a technical or design role.
- You love diving into Unreal Blueprints, Sequences, and Cameras to develop workable solutions and designs that can be demonstrated to your peers and leads.
- You have a deep grasp of narrative that uplifts gameplay and the player's experience.
- You can easily communicate, break down, and demonstrate the complex relationship of player engagement with both narrative and design to create moments that stick with players well after the adrenaline of combat has worn off.
- You can identify and advocate for narrative opportunities to the narrative design director and other studio leads.
- You love dreaming up worlds to discover and explore, and use your designs to tell that story.
- You are excited to collaborate in a creative team environment and are capable of working well in both independent and team environments.
- Aim for efficiency, decisiveness, and aim for world-class experiences.
What You Will Do:
- Prototype narrative-based gameplay within the engine to test our new ideas through an iterative process.
- Collaborate with writers and the systems team, using Unreal blueprints to create an exciting moment-to-moment narrative experience.
- Exercise a deep knowledge of narrative-driven games, showcasing a keen ear for telling stories in a dynamic space with third-person combat.
- Work closely with the narrative and design leadership to design, implement, and polish compelling player-centric narrative experiences.
- Execute across all stages of development: from verbal ideas to feature documentation and in-game implementation.
- Evaluate tools and pipelines for continued improvements, creating specs to work with Engineering to bring them to fruition.
- Balance player intent and character motivation that caters to a diverse player base.
- Drive project goals, priorities, and vision across interdisciplinary teams to deliver high-quality features from start to finish.
- Own and refine narrative features and improvement efforts, from ideation through delivery to players.
- Maintain clear and concise documentation for designs and systems you develop.
- 3+ years in a narrative design role.
- Experience with Blueprint in Unreal 4 Engine is a must.
- Experience creating and owning narrative features and designs to appeal to a broad audience.
About ProbablyMonsters Inc.
Established in 2016, ProbablyMonsters™ is the first of its kind as a family of sustainable game studios that create and launch original AAA games through a people-first culture. The company has revolutionized the way game studios are built. In a gaming world where new AAA studios and stable developer careers are equally rare, ProbablyMonsters stands out by fostering both with excellence. ProbablyMonsters mission is to unite, guide, and empower talented teams to create exceptional interactive experiences. Its unique development model provides Cauldron Studios and all ProbablyMonsters studios the confidence, security, and stability to create and ship their games free of distractions. Learn more about us at www.probablymonsters.com.