Lead Character Artist
About The ProbablyMonsters™ Incubation Team
Established in 2016, ProbablyMonsters is a next generation independent game company that creates long-lasting studios and exceptional games. Revolutionizing the way AAA game studios are built, ProbablyMonsters provides its teams the resources and creative environment needed to foster stable, rewarding, and life-long careers while delivering best-in-class entertainment through a positive people-first culture.
We have built three studios so far. Each of them has a unique identity built around the type of gamer experience they are creating. Knit together inside the ProbablyMonsters family culture, all studios are bonded by the core values of respect, trust, accountability, and approachability.
Connected by the company’s mission to unite, guide, and empower developers to create exceptional entertainment experiences, developers are given the confidence, security, and stability to create and ship their games free of distractions.
Our Incubation Team focuses on prototyping new ideas, new game concepts, new franchises, and the incubation of new studios with the ambitious vision to create genre defining games for the next generation of players. This is one of those unique opportunities that only happen once in a lifetime. We are looking for an Lead Character Artist who is passionate about bringing exceptional entertainment to players around the world.
Using expert knowledge of both your craft and game development you will join a character focused, action, project in its incubation phase to help build and support a high performing character art team and pipeline to deliver world-class characters that enrich gameplay and narrative for a stylized new franchise.
Who You Are:
- Unwavering in your commitment to creating a positive and inclusive work environment.
- You strive for excellence and growth in your craft.
- You are a self-sufficient, motivated, and self-aware artist who is passionate about crafting world-class characters.
- You have experience and deep understanding of high-quality character content pipelines, toolsets, and modern workflows and are excited about applying this knowledge to highly stylized visuals.
- You consider yourself a game-developer and understand how your work elevates the experience. The prospect of working in a highly collaborative, highly iterative, multidisciplinary environment excites you.
- You are excited to work closely with our Art Director to help develop the style of the product.
- You are proactive about championing your team making sure that your discipline is well represented.
- You pride yourself in your ability to effectively listen to and communicate in clear and concise ways.
- Your portfolio reflects your experience, your love for creating characters, and your technical mastery of your tools.
- You are committed to staying current with cutting-edge character workflows and techniques.
- You have a strong understanding of visual design principals, anatomy, and character design.
What You Will Do:
- Meeting with the Art Director to discuss the team’s work and support them in upholding the visual and experiential pillars of the game.
- Collaborate with Designers, Concept Artists, Animators, and Tech Artists to discuss and improve a highly iterative character workflow.
- Participating our teamwide playtest to evaluate how your team’s assets are playing and to give and receive notes on the experience.
- Create high-quality character models from block out to in-game polished assets.
- Work closely with other disciplines to bring a visually memorable, great-playing character to life.
- Provide feedback and support on pipeline, workflow, and tools for your team.
- Relevant professional experience as a Character Artist and have shipped at least 1 game.
- Expert in modern character art workflows & DCC programs (Substance, Marvelous, Zbrush, Maya, etc.).
- Experience in building sustainable workflows based on artistic, technical, and experiential requirements.
Nice To Have:
- Experience shipping with Unreal Engine
- Technical Skills: Scripting, Traditional Art Drawing, Painting, Sculpting, etc.