Senior Gameplay Designer
About ProbablyMonsters’ Cauldron Team
At Cauldron, we’re passionate about empowering gamers to become the hero of their own adventures. We believe that a great story unites a global community, and we’re assembling the best creative talent in gaming to bring these stories – players’ stories – to life.
Our team is working on an original, industry-defining adventure game and seeks those who want to push the boundaries of not just their craft but player experiences and the industry as a whole.
Cauldron is proud to be part of ProbablyMonsters, which secured the largest Series A raise in gaming history at $250 million, providing our team with the resources and creative freedom needed to foster stable, rewarding, and life-long careers.
Our studio is looking for a Senior Gameplay Designer who is experienced in Combat and combatant design. Being able to design combatant structure and behaviors, content, combat, and player moment-to-moment feel, which also may include writing specs, flow charts and game scripts. The role regularly communicates ideas with various teams to solicit feedback and ensure support during development.
The salary range for this position is $110,866 to $176,000. This range represents the salary for the position commensurate with experience, knowledge, and demonstrated success in the field.
WHO YOU ARE:
- Enthusiastic about Combat and design fundamentals for the player.
- Comfortable working in the highly iterative and ambiguous realities of early game development.
- Unwavering in your desire to create a positive and inclusive work culture.
- Effective at breaking down complex ideas and communicating them effectively across disciplines.
- Motivated and independent when possible, unafraid to ask for help when needed, and always willing to offer help.
- Skilled at giving and receiving feedback on game design and interpersonal interactions.
- Craft clear, succinct, and impactful design specifications that serve as the source of truth for the product.
- Drive the creation of worlds, including activities, encounters and level design.
- Prototype level creation systems and tools that support rapid content creation.
- Collaborate with the team through all phases of development, including working with production and product management to effectively scope, prioritize, and deliver at the highest quality levels.
- Implement prototypes, work within the engine to accomplish the design spec, and understand the technical implications of the design.
- Creates and implements designs and ensures they are optimized for the Unreal Engine.
- Shares knowledge and experience with other members of the team by providing constructive and actionable feedback.
- Communicate the technical requirements and vision for design workflows and pipelines.
- Regularly play, maintain, refine and provide constructive feedback across all aspects of the game.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of combat principles and practices within game design.
- Solid understanding of Unreal Engine and Blueprint Scripting.
- Ability to craft functional and complex prototypes in Unreal Engine.
- Strong methodology and problem-solving ability, with a focus on rapid iteration to achieve balance and pacing.
- Strong ability to build clear and concise design specs.
- Solid understanding of how different development disciplines work and how their inputs contribute to feature development.
- Strong ability to enhance relationships and network with senior internal/external partners who are not familiar with the subject matter often requiring persuasion.
- Strong knowledge and ability to build clear and concise design specs.
- Demonstrated ability to design AAA video games.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Requires a minimum of 5 years of related or equivalent work experience.
- Experience in the design of at least one game on modern consoles (Xbox, PlayStation, Switch, PC etc.).
- Preferred experience working with large, cross-discipline teams within AAA Video Games.
- Preferred experience shipping software on multiple platforms.
- Preferred experience in feature ownership within game design of AAA game development.
- A people-centric culture founded on respect, trust, approachability, and accountability.
- A stable home that values your potential, deeply cares about your work-life balance, and is committed to investing in your craft and long-term career.
- We offer a competitive benefits package, including sign-on bonus, annual stock option grants; health coverage (medical, dental, vision) paid at 100% for the employee and subsidized by the Company for dependents; Flexible Spending Account eligibility; life, accidental death, and disability insurance coverage; annual 401K contribution by the Company; Employee Assistance Program; and extensive paid time off plus holiday closures.
ProbablyMonsters is an independent video game company that aims to change the way games are made and inspire a better industry for all. Our mission is to unite, guide, and empower talented teams to redefine what it means to create exceptional games. Each team is led by creative leaders united under a strong, focused vision. They're given the resources and creative environment needed to foster stable, life-long careers while delivering industry-defining games within a healthy, rewarding culture.