Software Engineer, Platform
About ProbablyMonsters™ Studios
ProbablyMonsters Studios is a developer-led independent game company with the mission to unite, guide, and empower talented teams to create exceptional original games while thriving in stable and meaningful careers.
Our 3 studios are each developing an original game:
• Firewalk™ is working on a new multiplayer IP to be exclusively published by PlayStation
• Cauldron™ is developing a single-player, adventure-driven game
• Our RPG Team is creating a next-gen co-op RPG
We recently announced the largest Series A raise in gaming history at $250 million, which provides our teams with the resources and creative environment needed to foster stable, rewarding, and life-long careers .
We are looking for a Software Engineer, Platform for the Game Services team. This team's mission is to magnify the engineering teams across all studios, bringing specialized knowledge and common solutions so they can focus on making the game fun. In this role you will help our game studios build incredible experiences by contributing to shared ProbablyMonsters technologies. It requires the ability to empathize with our studio teams while simultaneously pushing to write high quality, scalable, easy-to maintain, reusable, and centralized software.
Who You Are
- You take pride in writing high-quality and maintainable software
- You prefer building technology that supports multiple games
- You have a broad set of skills necessary to build online services and continue to seek new ones
- You live to empower creatives to achieve their vision
- You care deeply about the user experience of your solutions
- You promote a culture of quality, accountability, and customer-focus with an open mind
What You Will Do
- Collaborate with other disciplines to build a scalable and maintainable platform that supports all studio teams
- Build online services that power features like authentication, matchmaking, user storage, title storage, in-game economies, etc
- Build SDKs for game clients, game servers, and other trusted processes to securely communicate with our online services
- Build a self-service developer portal that enables all studios to manage platform features across their unique game environments
- Work alongside studios to help them integrate our technologies
- Advise other engineering teams with online services engineering best practices and techniques
- Supply feedback on our technologies to improve them for future games
Technologies We Use
- Go – Online services and tools
- C/C++ – Native engine SDK
- gRPC – Online service communication
- GitHub – Code collaboration and automated CI/CD
- Terraform – Infrastructure as code
- Amazon Web Services – Compute, networking, delivery, etc.
- CockroachDB and Redis – Data storage
- Datadog – Observability
- Locust – Load testing automation
- 2+ years of professional experience in the game industry as a software engineer, with deep practical knowledge in designing and building online services that are scalable and maintainable
- 1+ years of professional experience working with cloud and automated CI/CD technologies
- Ability to collaborate with other disciplines to solve well-defined problems
- 1+ years of professional experience supporting a live game title
- Experience working on a cross-platform game title
- Experience shipping on multiple platforms (PC, Consoles, etc.)
Our commitment to you
- A people-first culture founded on respect, trust, approachability, and accountability.
- A stable home that values your potential, deeply cares about your work-life balance, and is committed to investing in your craft and long-term career.
- Competitive benefits package including health and family benefits, employee assistance program, flexible and paid time off, financial benefits and professional and personal development.