Lead Technical Artist
About ProbablyMonsters’ Cauldron Team
At Cauldron, we’re passionate about empowering gamers to become the hero of their own adventures. We believe that a great story unites a global community, and we’re assembling the best creative talent in gaming to bring these stories – players’ stories – to life.
Our team is working on an original, industry-defining adventure game and seeks those who want to push the boundaries of not just their craft but player experiences and the industry as a whole.
Cauldron is proud to be part of ProbablyMonsters, which secured the largest Series A raise in gaming history at $250 million, providing our team with the resources and creative freedom needed to foster stable, rewarding, and life-long careers.
We are seeking a Lead Technical Artist who is experienced in unreal technical art pipelines and building system/tools to improve the quality and construction of art. Leveraging their wealth of knowledge, they will attack technical challenges around content creation across multiple areas of focus and provide strong guidance to the rest of the technical art team. They will play a pivotal part in helping bridge art with design and engineering, being able to lead efforts to improve how we build art assets, mentor and manage the technical art team and collaborate cross team to ensure alignment to goals and help define the process to get there. The ideal applicant is passionate about finding efficiencies, exploring new technologies, implementing new tools, and identifying solutions for current and future game development for our new title.
The salary range for this position is $147,815 to $221,723. This range represents the salary for the position commensurate with experience, knowledge, and demonstrated success in the field.
WHO YOU ARE:
- Excited to be a force multiplier for the Art team.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills across engineering and art disciplines.
- Strong understanding of art pipelines and excited to teach/mentor others in that pursuit.
- Seasoned veteran looking to maintain and build a new Technical Art team.
- Stays up to date on current technology trends, and eager to elevate that in a Unreal Engine Environment.
- Maintain a balance between the creative vision of the projects and the technical budget restraints.
- Oversee the development of art pipelines including proprietary tools, software plug-ins, and in game technology.
- Provide team members with ongoing and meaningful feedback on performance and development -- ensuring positive acknowledgment of all achievements, both big and small.
- Be a proactive leader, looking ahead to identify risks, production issues, dependencies, and scoping concerns.
- Communicate with impact and promote an open dialogue within the team.
- Be a reference for the team in relation to technical art and find solutions to complex issues that arise.
- Participate in the development of technology road maps for the specific needs of the project.
- Stay up to date on trends and methodologies in current and future graphics software and hardware to develop early planning of tools and processes.
- Experience in 3D graphics software such as 3DS Max, Maya, etc. ideally on an advanced scripting capacity.
- Excellent time management and prioritization skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Knowledge of data management software (such as perforce) and different hardware architectures.
- Working knowledge of scripting/programming using languages such as MaxScript, Python, C Sharp etc.
- Knowledge of Unreal Engine, its architecture and how to yield optimal results.
- Knowledge of platform strengths and limitations.
- Knowledge of multiple art and animation pipelines.
- Technical proficiency in areas of 2D and 3D art.
- 7 years of related or equivalent work experience and 3 years of management experience.
- Experience in 3D graphics software such as 3DS Max, Maya, Blender, or Houdini.
- Demonstrated experience mentoring other technical artists and providing insightful feedback on efforts.
- Experience in the developing on at least two games on modern consoles (Xbox, PlayStation, Switch, PC etc.).
- Experience in feature ownership on AAA game development team.
- Experience shipping software in unreal Engine 4 or 5.
- A people-centric culture founded on respect, trust, approachability, and accountability.
- A stable home that values your potential, deeply cares about your work-life balance, and is committed to investing in your craft and long-term career.
- We offer a competitive benefits package, including sign-on bonus, annual stock option grants; health coverage (medical, dental, vision) paid at 100% for the employee and subsidized by the Company for dependents; Flexible Spending Account eligibility; life, accidental death, and disability insurance coverage; annual 401K contribution by the Company; Employee Assistance Program; and extensive paid time off plus holiday closures.
ProbablyMonsters is an independent video game company that aims to change the way games are made and inspire a better industry for all. Our mission is to unite, guide, and empower talented teams to redefine what it means to create exceptional games. Each team is led by creative leaders united under a strong, focused vision. They're given the resources and creative environment needed to foster stable, life-long careers while delivering industry-defining games within a healthy, rewarding culture.