Sr Manager, Medical Affairs & Publications
Sr. Manager, Medical Affairs
The Sr. Manager, Medical Affairs will contribute to building a best-in-class medical affairs organization at Portola. This role will primarily be a driver of publication strategy and dissemination of key scientific data. The successful candidate will play a major role in establishing Portola’s scientific expertise and communicating pre-clinical, clinical, and HEOR related data to the key stakeholders in the extended scientific/medical community.
- Drive the development and execution of the publication plan in conjunction with the project teams based on clinical development milestones, HEOR project deliverables, product life cycle, and unmet medical needs
- Support all activities related to the preparation of scientific medical publications (i.e., medical, scientific, and health economics manuscripts, abstracts, posters, and oral presentations) including travel logistics for external presenters
- Ensure that scientific publication activities are within industry-standard guidelines for authorship and good publication practices (e.g. GPPE, ISMPP)
- Interface and effectively collaborate with external stakeholders and internal cross-functional teams including to ensure accurate and timely completion/delivery of scientific publications
- Perform literature searches to remain up-to-date on the latest scientific and clinical data in the relevant therapeutic areas, and communicate with key internal stakeholders and maintain files of relevants publications (e.g. electronic library).
- Refine and ensure successful implementation of a scientific communication platform and medical communication plan for Portola in collaborations with Medical Affairs and cross-functional stakeholders
- Develop in-depth therapeutic knowledge for Portola products and disease states in order to serve as a resource to others within Medical Affairs and across the company
- Lead congress planning and execution of team coverage, as well as collection and generation of scientific insights
- Support Portola Medical Information
- Performs other duties as assigned, including participation in Promotional/Medical Review Committees
- A relevant scientific or healthcare degree is required (eg, PharmD, PhD, MD)
- Minimum 2 years in the biopharmaceutical or related healthcare industry, preferably with direct experience in publications planning and medical communications
- Good working knowledge of good publications practices and guidance (GPP3/ ICMJE), Sunshine Act, Pharma Code of Conduct and other guidance related to pre and post-marketing practices and scientific data communications
- Takes initiative and works independently, as well as collaboratively across functions
- Successful track record of managing multiple projects in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to read, interpret, and convey complex scientific information
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency with Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- In-depth knowledge of PubMed, Embase, and other medical/scientific resources
- Domestic travel in support of Medical Affairs initiatives (up to 20%)
Portola Pharmaceuticals is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.