Technical Artist - Contract
Playground Games is looking for a Technical Artist to join our Fable team to support the artists crafting our beautiful fairy-tale world.
As a Technical Artist, you will collaborate across multiple disciplines acting as a bridge between art and engineering teams. You will be responsible for finding and delivering improvements in quality, workflow and performance for art content in the game.
We are considering a range of experience levels for this position (for which appropriate adjustments to responsibilities will be made).
What you'll do
Our Tech Artists wear a number of hats, developing one or more areas of expertise and ownership within the team. Here are some examples of the work our Tech Artists look after (subject to experience and interest)
- Take ownership of the authoring and export tools for environment artists
- Work closely with the rendering team to create environment and VFX shaders that push visual quality to the forefront of the industry
- Be the primary support for one or more World Art sub-disciplines (lighting, VFX, UI, foliage, terrain, etc)
- Take responsibility for the performance of our game world by creating tools and processes to ensure the best possible balance between quality and cost
- Identify bottlenecks and promote best practices for authoring art content to help our artists do their best work
What you'll bring
Our ideal candidate will bring the following skills and experience:
- Experience creating environment art and/or supporting an environment art team using industry-standard art applications (3ds Max, Maya, Substance, ZBrush, etc)
- Experience working with shaders (node-based or HLSL)
- Proficiency in Python or similar language, ideally with experience creating scripts for 3ds Max or Maya
- Effective collaborator with growth mindset and desire to help others to do their best work
- Strong verbal and digital communication skills. Knowledge of rendering, memory, lighting, animation and other art-related topics
- Critical eye for visual quality. Art or Programming degree is a bonus
This is a fantastic opportunity to join one of the world’s most exciting games studios, using cutting edge technology to create world class games with an established, highly talented and collaborative team.