Senior Technical Artist
Playground Games is looking for a Senior Technical Artist to join our Fable team to support the artists crafting our beautiful fairy-tale world.
As a Senior Technical Artist, you will collaborate across multiple disciplines acting as a bridge between art and engineering teams. You will be responsible for finding and delivering improvements in quality, workflow and performance for art content in the game.
What you'll do:
Our Tech Artists wear a number of hats, developing one or more areas of expertise and ownership within the team. Here are some examples of the work our Tech Artists look after:
- Take ownership of the authoring and export tools for environment artists
- Work closely with the rendering team to create environment and VFX shaders that push visual quality to the forefront of the industry
- Be the primary support for one or more World Art sub-disciplines (lighting, VFX, UI, foliage, terrain, etc)
- Take responsibility for the performance of our game world by creating tools and processes to ensure the best possible balance between quality and cost
- Identify bottlenecks and promote best practices for authoring art content to help our artists do their best work
What you'll bring:Our ideal candidate will bring the following skills and experience:
- Experience working as a Technical Artist in a professional game development studio
- Experience creating environment art and/or supporting an environment art team using industry-standard art applications (3ds Max, Maya, Substance, ZBrush, etc)
- Experience working with shaders (node-based or HLSL)
- Proficiency in Python or similar language, ideally with experience creating scripts for 3ds Max or Maya
- Effective collaborator with growth mindset and desire to help others to do their best work
- Strong verbal and digital communication skills. Comfortable discussing rendering, memory, lighting, animation and other art-related topics
- Critical eye for visual quality. Art or Programming degree is a bonus
This is an incredible opportunity to make world-class games with a talented and collaborative team at one of the industry's most exciting first-party game studios.
Playground Games is an equal opportunities studio and welcomes applications from candidates of all backgrounds.