Material Artist - Contract
Playground Games is looking for a Material Artist to join our Fable team on a contract basis.
As a first-party Xbox Game Studio, we are passionate about making genre-defining games that are accessible, beautiful, and, most of all, fun. We are excited to be rebooting the much-loved Fable franchise and are expanding our diverse team to create a new classic in the action RPG genre.
About the role:
As a Material Artist, you will be working with the Environment Art team to deliver materials and textures for assets, architecture, and biomes. You will be responsible for creating consistently high-quality environment materials and raising the bar for content in our game. You’ll work closely with internal stakeholders so the ability to communicate effectively is very important.
Our ideal candidate is a highly skilled material artist who is passionate about their craft, skilled in texturing, and has the track record to prove it.
This is a contract role based at our state-of-the-art facilities in Royal Leamington Spa.
What you’ll do:
- Work closely with leads, seniors, and multi-disciplinary stakeholders to establish texture and material workflows.
- Create high-quality environment materials for props, architecture, geology, and terrain.
- Contribute to creating Benchmarks for various asset types and define workflows and processes for obtaining the best results possible.
- Create base material library for use in asset creation.
What you’ll bring:
- 1-3 years of Material or Environment Art experience, with demonstrable work on at least 1 published title (ideally AAA).
- A portfolio demonstrating high-quality Material work. This portfolio can be submitted as a link to a portfolio website or added as an attachment along with your CV.
- Strong knowledge of PBR techniques and material authoring.
- Mastery of relevant software packages such as Zbrush, Substance Suite, etc.
- Great understanding of art fundamentals and design principles
- A genuine passion for video games.
- Experience with photogrammetry and using scan data in your work is an advantage.
This is a fantastic opportunity to a world-class game with an established, talented, and collaborative team at one of the industry’s most exciting first-party game studios.
Playground Games is an equal opportunities studio and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply.