Lead Character Artist
Playground Games is looking for Lead Character Artist to join our talented Forza Horizon team here in Leamington Spa.
As a premier first-party Xbox Game Studio, we are passionate about making genre-defining games that are accessible, beautiful, and most of all, fun. We are looking to expand our diverse team as we continue driving forward our BAFTA award-winning Forza Horizon franchise.
Playground Games is an equal opportunities studio and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply.
About the role
As Lead Character Artist you’ll oversee the Character Art team, working in conjunction with the Art Director and Art Manager to plan work for the team and ensure our high-quality bar is realised. You will be expected to steer your team in creating clean and functional topology, high quality materials and optimise content for game, being comfortable leading communications with technical departments.
You are familiar with industry standard software packages such as 3DSMax or Maya and have extensive experience with Brush and Substance Painter. You have exceptional knowledge of human anatomy and possess a great understanding of best practices to suit animation needs and engine requirements.
This role is based in our state-of-the-art studio in Leamington Spa, with a hybrid work model in place. Relocation assistance is available if required.
- A proven track record leading, mentoring and developing character artists’ skills.
- An interest in contemporary fashion
- A good understanding of technical considerations for character creation, with the ability to communicate with technical team members
- Established character production workflows such as creating clean deformable topology, efficient UV mapping and baking, texturing, and cloth creation techniques
- Strong understanding and demonstration of human anatomy and proportions
- A self-motivated team player, with good communication skills
What you will bring
- Experience on shipped AAA game projects
- Portfolio demonstrating real time character artwork to very high standard
- A genuine passion for video games
- Experience with outsourcing and co-development is a bonus.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join an established, talented, and collaborative team at one of the industry’s most exciting first-party game studios.