Pipeworks studios is looking for a veteran Audio Director to join our in-house team as we raise the bar even higher and create world-class audio content for AAA development projects. You will work with a studio of accomplished veterans both at a Director and team level to establish each project from an audio point of view. You will bring passion to the role of Audio Director, collaborating with internal and external teams, planning, directing, and creating compelling, high-quality AAA audio. Must be comfortable working with internal audio, contractors, voice talent, and audio outsourcing houses.
Essential Job Functions
• Strong planning at the beginning of projects to establish the audio approach
• Implement and author interactive, real-time sound using middleware and scripting tools to bring soundscapes to life
• Record real-world sounds, create and edit new sound effects using various recording techniques, professional audio editing tools, hardware, and props
• Collaborate with in-house and off-site sound teams and programmers
• Sound Design and mixing of cinematic content in multiple formats and specifications
• Create and establish the audio vision, both artistic and technical, based on the creative direction of each project
• Communicate the audio vision to the team and provide all necessary visual and audio documents and references needed
• At least one shipped AAA title
• Strong communication skills and a team-focused mindset with a sense of urgency
• Understanding emotion and tension in storytelling and be able to tell a story through sound
• Imaginative and creative use of audio production tools, foley performance and capture, props, and recording techniques to create high quality original content
• Fluent in interactive audio and postproduction techniques
• Expert command of sound design & mixing techniques, processes, and tools
• Ability to create world-class audio content spread across multiple styles and genres.
• Solid understanding of recording techniques, microphone placement, and the ability to direct talent
• In-Depth knowledge with authoring techniques within middleware (Wwise or FMOD, etc.)
• A grasp of logic and simple scripting methods for interactive audio implementation within a game engine (Unity, Unreal or proprietary engines)
• Experience working with other departments (Animation, engineering, AI, UI etc.) and understanding their workflow
• Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
• Ability to work collaboratively, under pressure and to tight deadlines
• An aptitude for keeping up to date on current market trends and emerging audio design advances.
• Good understanding about technical budgeting of audio for games (CPU, RAM, disk I/O, etc), and best optimization practices.
• Musical skills as a musician and/or composer. Desirable Skills & Experience:
• Technical skills and understanding of audio rendering and compression technologies, and codecs.
- At least 10+ years in a Lead Audio/Audio Director role, with at least 5 years as a Sound Designer for video games
- Mastery in DAW (ProTools, Reaper, Nuendo, Cubase)
- Unity experience is a must; Unreal familiarity a benefit
- Ability to work on audio beyond the projects to support marketing and studio events
- Strong ability to diffuse stressful situations with positive solutions
- Ability to pull the best out of audio team members and recognize where training or mentoring is needed
- Ability to direct voice talent to get strong project appropriate voice audio
- Comfort at working on areas other than game creation such as marketing, promotion, and business pitching when audio is needed
Demonstrated Ability To
• Plan, schedule, and research each project and set them up for audio success
• Work with audio sources internally or externally to make sure they are hitting the quality bar within the technical understanding of the project
• Work with senior leadership on the long term plan for audio in the studio
Education & Experience Required
Any degree in an audio related digital direction and/or at least 10+ years experience in audio leadership.
Benefits and Perks
• Medical, Dental, and Vision
• Life Insurance Policy
• Generous Paid Time Off (Vacation, Holiday, & Sick time)
• Employee Assistance Program
• Fitness Club Discounts
• Annual Company Events
• Project Wrap Parties
Pipeworks Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Pipeworks Studios recognizes the importance of creating an environment where all our employees feel included and empowered to bring ideas to the table. We value each employee’s unique experiences and perspectives across our company and recognize that it is both the smart and right thing to foster diversity, equity, and inclusion within our organization.
By diversifying our workforce, increasing equity, and ensuring that our individual differences are valued, we are better able to deliver an experience that reflects, inspires, and connects with our audience... because games are for everyone!
Go to Pipeworks.com to see some of our continued efforts and our 2020 Diversity Report.