Senior User Researcher
Hello from Pinger! Our market-leading communications products have been downloaded by hundreds of millions of iOS and Android users around the world. Our simple mission is to help individuals and businesses communicate in new and surprisingly simple ways. We are profitable, growing and are having fun. Pinger is located in downtown San Jose, walking distance to dozens of restaurants and public transit and is embracing remote work.
Our ideal candidate has solid research experience and a mixed-methods toolkit, and will help us better understand our users and build better products. This candidate understands the difference between generative and evaluative research, and has an ability to produce robust, research-based recommendations so we can put research insights into action. Solid qualitative research skills across a variety of methodologies are critical for success in this role, as are basic skills in survey design, analysis, and visualization. Experience working on teams that are building new products and features from scratch will be a major plus, and a strong team spirit, effective collaboration skills, and experience working cross-functionally is required and paramount to your success.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Partner with internal stakeholders to define, plan, and execute our overall user research strategy, and become the authority on our users’ needs and behaviors.
- Work closely with design, marketing, product and data teams to design and execute robust, high-impact research to inform product decisions & brand directions, and to identify revenue opportunities in our product space.
- Direct and facilitate user recruitment for qualitative research studies—you will have logistical support in this task.
- Design discussion guides to understand user behaviors and problems, and design surveys to scale our learnings as needed.
- Partner with data science & engineering to develop a thorough understanding of our usage data, and how this data may validate user problems or inform perspectives on user behaviors.
- Conduct usability studies, as well as foundational research to vet new concepts and to drive product strategy in advance of evaluating any solutions.
- Work independently to execute against a research timeline, and partner with stakeholders to descope complex research needs to meet the constraints of a start-up environment.
- Analyze, interpret and summarize qualitative and quantitative data, and communicate findings and actionable recommendations to stakeholders at every level of the organization.
- Work cross-functionally with Design, Product, Marketing, Data Science & Data Warehouse teams to advocate for the user, drive activation on learnings, and ensure alignment on research outcomes along the product development cycle.
Requirements and Qualifications
- BA/BS degree in Anthropology, Human-Computer Interaction (HCI), Psychology, Sociology, or a related field; Master’s degree preferred.
- 3-5 years of experience as a product-focused user researcher or similar role in high-tech industry.
- Portfolio of projects illustrating robust UX research methods with high-impact outcomes.
- Confidence in delivering foundational research and supporting design iterations across multiple products.
- Experience with qualitative and quantitative human-centered research methods.
- Critical thinker with a strong command of human-centered design philosophy and approaches to problem solving, with an ability to identify gaps in research learnings across the organization.
- Comfortable working cross-functionally on multiple projects at once, with an ability to ruthlessly prioritize research requests as needed.
- Exceptional interpersonal communication and presentation skills, with an ability to speak with confidence about learnings and recommendations.
- Experience working with ad-based mobile/app products and subscription-based mobile/app products, including experience with a variety of price-testing methods.