Director of Programs, PIH-US
Position Title: Director of Programs, PIH-US
Reports to: Executive Director, PIH-US
Location: United States, Remote
Position Type: Full-time
Leveraging Partners in Health’s (PIH) experience and lessons learned from our COVID contact tracing collaboration with the state of Massachusetts, and our 30 years of global work in emergency epidemic response and health systems strengthening, PIH has spent the last 18 months working with U.S. states, cities and community partners in building more equitable and effective public health responses to COVID-19 in the US.
PIH-US supports public sector and community partners on the frontlines of the public health response to COVID-19, to address this acute-on-chronic public health crisis, by providing technical assistance and knowledge sharing platforms to accelerate implementation of effective, equitable COVID-19 responses. Our approach to providing technical assistance to different public sector and community partners in the United States includes providing expertise and advice on design and implementation, incorporating an equity lens into execution, and creating a community of partners across the US to share best practices and challenges in order to fortify efforts amidst the national response to COVID-19 and our long-standing crisis of health inequity
We are seeking a mission-driven individual with outstanding leadership and management skills to join PIH-US as Director of US Programs. This is a senior leadership role in a growing team of ~60 people working across 8 state, cities, and counties. The Director will lead a fast paced and dynamic team accompanying states, cities and communities across the US in ramping up more effective and equitable public health responses to COVID-19 and building longer-term strategies for public health transformation in the US. This person will hold primary responsibility for programmatic partnerships and technical advising services across the U.S. in a highly dynamic operating environment with significant national visibility, and together with the Executive Director drive overall PIH-US strategy development, team culture and management.
Strategy development and resource mobilization
- Provide thought leadership and guide strategy development for PIH-US work, continually identifying new opportunities for PIH to add value and maximize impact in the U.S.
- Co-lead the development of a longer-term PIH-US strategy and identification of high impact opportunities to transition from COVID response into longer-term community health systems strengthening work
- Co-design and help implement a comprehensive fundraising plan to achieve annual goals, together with Executive Director and Senior Partnerships Lead
- Support creation of materials to engage donors to identify levels of interest and potential fundraising opportunities for expanded US efforts, in close collaboration with Senior Strategic Partnerships Lead
Program development and team management
- Oversee portfolio of 8 core partnerships/programs engagements and 40+ staff with partners at the state, county, city and community level across the United States
- Continually improve the design & ensure the effective implementation of PIH’s technical advising efforts across US partner sites on a broad range of COVID response topics, including testing; contact tracing and disease investigation; safe isolation and quarantine; and equitable vaccine roll-out, among other areas
- Develop staffing strategy and continually assess recruiting priorities to meet technical advising team needs
- Manage and support Regional Directors, State Directors and Senior Project Leads to develop site-specific engagement strategies with their partner jurisdictions/communities
- Coach TA teams in preparation of analysis and recommendations for Departments of Health and other partners
- Identify emerging trends across TA sites, where there are opportunities for collaboration or needs for additional expertise and support
- Establish strong collaborative relationships with all relevant government, technical, advisory and programmatic partners to strengthen PIH’s TA work
- Identify key learnings and insights from Technical Advising to contribute to broader US Public Health Accompaniment Unit resource library and learning team programming
- Provide regular reports on program and work progress to PIH leadership team, and liaise across other PIH teams
- Provide support in managing relationships with donors and external partners; represent PIH by presenting work to high-level partners, both internally and externally
- Steward close collaboration between program team and legal, compliance and finance teams to manage risk and ensure adherence to OnePIH policy
Team and culture
- Serve as a key member of the PIH-US leadership team, ensuring strategic and operational alignment across US TA, learning, advocacy and communications programming and activities
- Develop and constantly improve an exceptional team and culture in collaboration with the PIH-US Executive Director
- Foster the continuous growth and performance of all direct reports through active coaching and leadership that blends high expectations with intensive support and empathy
- Shape the culture and dynamics of the entire PIH-US team through regular communication and activities that build team effectiveness and cohesion across geographies and work streams
- Role model the values and mission of PIH
- 10+ years of professional experience in public health, nonprofit management, health program implementation and/or consulting
- Bachelor’s degree in public health or related field
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice, racial equity and health equity
- Demonstrated emotional intelligence through managing strong collaboration and relationship building within teams, patience, sense of humor and thoughtfulness even in high-pressure, stressful situations
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, able to concisely communicate complex ideas in a manner that builds buy-in among diverse stakeholders
- Excellent people development skills, able to help diverse team members rapidly improve skills and performance through coaching and consistent supportive accountability
- Ability to work independently and effectively in high-pressure, fast-paced environment and handle multiple tasks and manage competing priorities
- Exceptional diplomatic and interpersonal skills and ability to build strong professional relationships with diverse stakeholders in a challenging environment
- Strategically minded, able to think creatively around program objectives and the detailed steps necessary to achieve these goals
- Demonstrated strong problem solving skills, qualitative and quantitative analytical capabilities
- Entrepreneurial spirit demonstrated through prior experience working in start-up like environments building new teams or programs and flexibility in the face of rapidly evolving scope of work and new challenges
- Sound judgment and ability to handle confidential information with discretion and professionalism
- Experience advising senior government officials and working within complex public systems
- Management consulting or advisory services experience
- Experience working in the US healthcare and/or public health systems
- Experience in public health workforce development
- Experience running or helping to manage strategic planning processes
- Experience working with community-based organizations to support capacity building and strategic planning
- MPH or other related Master’s degree
Partners In Health (PIH) is a non-profit, global health organization that fights social injustice by bringing the benefits of modern medical science first and foremost to the most vulnerable communities around the world. PIH focuses on those who would not otherwise have access to quality health care. PIH partners with the world’s leading academic institutions to create rigorous evidence that shapes more sound and all-inclusive global health policies. PIH also supports local governments’ efforts to build capacity and strengthen national health systems.
As of today, PIH runs programs in 11 countries (Haiti, Peru, Rwanda, Mexico, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Malawi, Lesotho, Russia, Kazakhstan, Navajo Nation), where it provides direct care to millions of patients, through public facilities and community engagement.
Partners In Health (PIH) is committed to the fundamental principle of equal opportunity and equal treatment for every prospective and current employee. It is the policy of PIH not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, religion, creed, disability, sex and gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law. PIH works in and with a number of governments in and outside the U.S., and to the extent applicable, this statement is intended to incorporate the prohibition of any unlawful discrimination covered by applicable laws in such countries, states and municipalities.
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (DHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment. Employers can only use E-Verify once you have accepted a job offer and completed the Form I-9.