Community Outreach Liaison, New Bedford Health Department
Position Title: Community Outreach Liaison
Reports to: Senior Project Lead, New Bedford, U.S. Public Health Accompaniment Unit
Location: Massachusetts, United States; requires ability to work in-person in New Bedford, MA at Health Department Offices at least 3x per week
Employment Type: Full-time; temporary through June 2021 (may include evenings and weekends)
Leveraging PIH’s experience and lessons learned from our COVID contact tracing collaboration with the state of Massachusetts, and our 30 years of global work in emergency epidemic response and health systems strengthening, PIH has launched a new team to accompany U.S. states, cities and community partners in rapidly scaling up contact tracing and building more equitable and effective public health responses to COVID-19 in the US.
The U.S. Public Health Accompaniment Unit team works to accompany public sector and community partners on the frontlines of the public health response to COVID-19, to address this acute-on-chronic public health crisis, by providing technical assistance and knowledge sharing platforms to accelerate implementation of effective, equitable COVID-19 responses. As part of a broad portfolio of work, the U.S. Public Health Accompaniment Unit is launching a new COVID-19 response partnership with the Health Department in New Bedford, Massachusetts. The city of New Bedford is home to more than 100,000 residents, roughly twenty percent of whom have incomes below the Federal poverty line, and has recently been among the highest-rated municipalities in Massachusetts for COVID-19 transmission.
Partners In Health is building a COVID-19 response team to support the New Bedford Health Department to reinforce contact tracing and cluster investigation efforts; support testing, community education and outreach; and collaborate to build and execute a COVID-19 community vaccination campaign, ultimately serving to support New Bedford’s response to the epidemic and serving as a model public health team for other municipalities.
As a member of the PIH COVID-19 response team, the Community Outreach Liaison will be responsible for supporting the Health Department in devising and providing informational messaging and guidance around COVID-19 safety efforts to help reduce the spread of COVID-19 in the City of New Bedford. This individual will be an integral member of a multi-disciplinary team whose work will inform the full cascade of the COVID-19 response in New Bedford from testing to contact tracing and vaccine planning.
- Provide community outreach and education in accordance with the current county, state, and federal regulations concerning COVID-19, including testing, contact tracing, care and social services resources, and vaccine distribution
- Devise and communicate locally relevant adaptations of broader public health messaging and outreach strategies to reduce the spread of COVID-19 in the community
- Engage with citizens, community groups, and businesses and respond to community concerns and questions on COVID-19
- Communicate with various agencies regarding COVID-19 and report to county leadership on progress
- Participate in U.S. Public Health Accompaniment Unit cross-team meetings and trainings
- Contribute learnings and insights from work to broader U.S. Public Health Accompaniment Unit resource library and learning collaborative
- Maintain daily contact with New Bedford Health Department leadership and New Bedford COVID-19 team
- Other duties as assigned
- High school diploma or equivalent required; bachelor’s degree preferred
- Fluency in at least 1 additional language required (Spanish, Cape Verdean Creole or Portuguese)
- 4-6 years of demonstrated professional experience in relevant field, including community advocacy and / or outreach; social work; social services delivery; or similar
- Exemplary interpersonal and communication skills, including demonstrated ability to show empathy for distressed individuals; interact broadly with culturally diverse community members and leaders in a time of crisis and distress; and communicate with city and health department leadership on evolving needs
- Ability to exhibit a professional, positive attitude and work ethic
- Ability to take initiative and interested in tackling complex problems, working with an interdisciplinary team to execute solutions
- Excellent critical thinking and organizational skills
- Ability to speak, read, and write English
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion and professionalism
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice and health equity
- Ability to work onsite at the New Bedford Health Department at least 3x/week required
Partners In Health (PIH) is an international health organization relentlessly committed to improving the health of the poor and marginalized. PIH partners with local governments to build local capacity and works closely with impoverished communities to deliver high-quality health care, address the root causes of illness, train providers, advance research, and advocate for global policy change.
PIH currently has implementation programs in Haiti, Rwanda, Lesotho, Liberia, Kazakhstan, Malawi, Peru, Mexico, Sierra Leone and Navajo Nation. Through our partnership with Harvard Medical School and the Brigham and Women’s Hospital, we support a wide range of programs in dozens of other countries around the world.
Partners In Health (PIH) is committed to the fundamental principle of equal opportunity and equal treatment for every prospective and current employee. It is the policy of PIH not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, religion, creed, disability, sex and gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law. PIH works in and with a number of governments in and outside the U.S., and to the extent applicable, this statement is intended to incorporate the prohibition of any unlawful discrimination covered by applicable laws in such countries, states and municipalities.