Lecturer, Center for Nursing and Midwifery
Lecturer for the Center for Nursing and Midwifery
The University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) is on a mission to radically change the way health care is delivered around the world. UGHE is a new kind of university based in Rwanda that is building the next generation of global health professionals—doctors, nurses, researchers, and public health and policy experts—into leaders and change makers who strive to deliver more equitable, quality health services for all.
Members of the UGHE community are tenacious and resolute in our drive to attain social justice, make common cause with those in need, listen to and learn from others, and operate with honesty and humility as we uphold academic integrity and intellectual curiosity. The University of Global Health Equity seeks individuals committed to these values to join the team.
The Center for Nursing and Midwifery at UGHE was launched in 2020 with the mandate of advancing the global nursing and midwifery workforce through education, partnerships, research and community building, all with the aim of meeting the population health needs of the poorest and most vulnerable.
The lecturer will be responsible for assisting with the design and delivery of executive and postgraduate education courses for nurses and midwives in Africa. Educational offerings at the Center for Nursing and Midwifery are focused on advanced nursing and midwifery competencies in executive education, leadership, global health and clinical specializations.
Title: Lecturer for the Center for Nursing and Midwifery
Reports to: Chair, Center for Nursing and Midwifery
Location: Kigali and Butaro, Rwanda
Under the guidance of the Chair for the Center for Nursing and Midwifery (CNM), the Lecturer will teach, research, compile and develop course materials and participate in the delivery of advanced level training for nurses and midwives. In addition, the Lecturer will support other units at UGHE to achieve the overall mission and vision of the institution.
Curriculum Development and Pedagogy (60%)
- Subject matter expertise in the development of nursing and midwifery training programs.
- Specific areas are but not limited to: executive education, global health, leadership and clinical nursing specialization in oncology, midwifery, mental health, community/public health and primary health.
- Assist with preparation of syllabi and course content
- Assist with delivery of training for students, faculty and other relevant stakeholders
- Assist with grading student assignments and exams
- Teach classes as assigned by the Center Chair.
Student Supervision and Mentorship (10%)
- Mentor and guide students through their learning as well as ongoing professional growth
- Assist and engage in collaborative Research (20%)
- Engage/ collaborate in the Center’s research activities
- Assist with and partake in research on nursing and midwifery workforce issues
Organizational Development (10%)
- Collaborate with the Center’s Chair and other key personnel at UGHE in the development, implementation and improvement on plans for the Center for Nursing and Midwifery
- Support other academic programs at UGHE as assigned by the UGHE leadership
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Qualified Registered Nurse/Midwife with an active and valid registration
- Master’s degree in Nursing and or Midwifery or related health specialization e.g Public Health, global health
- 2 years of clinical experience
- 2 years of teaching experience
- Preferable experience working in Rwanda
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, facilitation, and presentation skills.
- Ability to work both collaboratively and independently.
- Commitment to work in a fast-paced environment
- Strong technical skills around the development of training curricula or tools and monitoring the quality of nursing and midwifery education programs
- Teaching skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English
- Competency in Kinyarwanda and French is desirable
Full time regular
BENEFITS: As per UGHE’s salary scale
Applicants should provide: (1) curriculum vitae, (2) graduate transcripts including registered nurse /midwife licensure, (3) a list of relevant nursing and/or midwifery training delivered or designed
University of Global Health Equity is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.