Administrative and Research Assistant - Communications Team
Position Title: Administrative and Research Assistant - Communications Team
Reports to: Compañeros En Salud Communications Coordinator
Location: Jaltenango de la Paz (Ángel Albino Corzo), Chiapas, Mexico
Type of employment: Full-time volunteer position
Start date: summer 2019
Our Mission at PIH®
Our mission is to provide a preferential option for the poor in health care. By establishing long-term relationships with sister organizations based in settings of poverty, Partners In Health strives to achieve two overarching goals: to bring the benefits of modern medical science to those most in need of them and to serve as an antidote to despair.
We draw on the resources of the world’s leading medical and academic institutions and on the lived experience of the world’s poorest and sickest communities. At its root, our mission is both medical and moral. It is based on solidarity, rather than charity alone.
When our patients are ill and have no access to care, our team of health professionals, scholars, and activists will do whatever it takes to make them well—just as we would do if a member of our own families or we ourselves were ill.
PIH currently has implementation programs in Haiti, Rwanda, Lesotho, Liberia, Malawi, Peru, Mexico, Kazakhstan, Sierra Leone and Navajo Nation. Through our partnership with Harvard Medical School and the Brigham and Women’s Hospital, we support a wide range of programs in dozens of other countries around the world.
Partners In Health (PIH) sites around the world are known by the name “Partners In Health” translated into the local language. We operate as a network of sister organizations established in each of the places where we work. In Mexico, PIH operates as Compañeros En Salud (CES).
To learn more about the organization and its work, as well as the location and living conditions of our site, please visit http://www.companerosensalud.mx.
The PIH website offers additional context at: www.pih.org.
Support to Volunteer
CES is able to provide housing in shared dorms and any work-related transport once on site. CES is NOT able to defray the cost of flights to Chiapas or to provide stipends to volunteers. If you plan to apply for travel or financial support from an institution, we will collaborate with you by providing any necessary letters or site paperwork.
This full-time, Chiapas-based volunteer position requires a minimum five-month commitment. Preference will be given to candidates who are able to commit for a full year (the norm for our volunteer positions).
The Compañeros En Salud communications team works with our patients, program staff, development coordinator, directors, and our Boston-based team on the creation and diffusion of materials that raise awareness of and generate support for our mission and our work. We share and illustrate—through various formats—the story of
- the need for our work
- the impact it has in the lives of the people we serve
- our vision of health equity
We’re seeking a compañerx to join our team to carry out administrative and research tasks that are essential to these efforts.
- Work with our team to understand our mission, work, communications goals, and intended audience(s)
- Assist in the creation of materials that profile patients who are sharing their stories. Duties may include:
- Conduct and record interviews (in Spanish) with patients and members of our team (social workers, clinicians, program coordinators, community health workers, etc.) who have been involved in the patient’s case
- Review and correct auto-generated transcripts of recorded interviews
- Highlight details, quotes, etc. for consideration in the final materials
- Work with our program teams to gather relevant information regarding the patient and his/her case, based on our records (e.g. milestones in the timeline of their care and involvement in the program, etc.)
- Work with our MEQ team to gather data that helps to frame individual stories in the context of our program objectives and impact
- Conduct online research for data that helps to frame individual stories in the national and global context
- Format and upload materials (photos, videos, text, etc.) for blog posts, social media posts, etc.
- Thorough proofreading (in English and Spanish) and assistance with fact-checking
- Drafting translations from Spanish to English and from English to Spanish, as needed, for review by our editorial committee
- Assist in the creation of the annual report. Duties may include:
- Work with program coordinators to gather information and highlights from the year
- Work with our MEQ staff, finance coordinator, program coordinators, etc. to gather relevant data and figures
- Assist in the creation of eNewsletters, reports and other materials
- Research opportunities for our team (medical and otherwise) to share from their personal experiences of their work (An example: A call from the International Confederation of Midwives for blog posts written by midwives for International Day of the Midwife, etc.)
- Assist with the project of uploading and organizing years of photo archives and caption information into the central PIH and CES photo databases
- Assist in the creation, organization and implementation of systems to further increase the effectiveness of the communications team
- Assist in the finalization of a Communications Manual for the organization
Depending on the skills and interest of the candidate, and the needs of the organization, this position could include other tasks. Candidates with skills and experience that could contribute to other aspects of our work may have opportunities to evolve in their duties and role.
- Fluency in either English or Spanish (and high proficiency in the other), with very strong skills in grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc.
- Excellent organizational skills
- Experience with basic online research, identifying the original source of information/data, and exercising discernment re: the validity of sources
- Proficiency in G Suite and Microsoft Office or equivalent applications (Google Docs, Google Sheets, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, or iWork Pages, iWork Numbers, etc.)
- Technically inclined: ability to quickly learn and use new platforms and applications
- Exemplary interpersonal skills; ability to collaborate effectively with culturally diverse, multidisciplinary staff in both Mexico and the U.S.
- Strong orientation toward contributing to shared objectives and outcomes as part of a team (even if one’s preferred approach is that of an “independent contributor” to the team’s work), rather than the pursuit of individual esteem
- Demonstrated meticulous attention to detail
- Flexibility with frequent changes in priorities as needs and opportunities arise
- Kindness, consideration, and patience
- Willingness to acknowledge doubts and ask for help and guidance when unsure
- Work in accordance with the PIH Values of Commitment (We are tenacious and resolute in our drive to attain social justice.); Pragmatic solidarity / accompaniment (We make common cause with those in need.); Humility (We listen to and learn from others.); Integrity (We operate with honesty and fairness.)
- Strong interest in social justice
- Familiarity with and interest in global health
- Experience in low-resource or rural settings or with wilderness activities strongly preferred
- Basic ability to interpret statistics, probabilistic statements and arithmetic comparisons (e.g. understanding the difference between “three times as likely” and “three times more likely”; understanding that a change from 5% to 7% is an increase of 40%, not an increase of 2%; etc.)
- Experience with web CMS platforms (SquareSpace or others), blogs, etc.
- Experience with email marketing platforms (e.g. Mailchimp)
- Experience with social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, etc.)
Additional skills that could lead to evolving duties / role on the team:
- Photo editing (Adobe Photoshop)
- Graphic design (Adobe Illustrator and InDesign)
- Video editing (Adobe Premiere Pro)
- Social media strategy
- Writing / storytelling
Please include a resume or CV AND cover letter in order to be considered. In your cover letter:
- tell us about your interest in the position
- address the required qualifications (and any relevant preferred qualifications) by providing details of your previous relevant experience
- provide details about your Spanish and English language proficiency
If you have any of the additional skills mentioned, above and beyond the qualifications for this position, we invite you to share links to examples of your work in these areas.
Thank you; we look forward to hearing from you.Partners In Health is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.