Coordinator of Community Based Education, Lecturer
Position Title: Coordinator of Community Based Education, Lecturer
Reports to: Department Head, Community and Population Health Sciences
Location: Butaro, Rwanda
The Coordinator of Community Based Education (CCBE) will build and support UGHE’s community based education (CBE) program for the MBBS/MGHD integrated degree program. UGHE’s academic programs are built upon active learning approaches, leveraging education technology, community-based learning and exemplifying world class quality. The CCBE ensures that this vision is executed in every CBE module by collaborating with UGHE and visiting faculty, the Government of Rwanda, community healthcare practitioners, non-governmental organizations and other key constituencies. The ideal candidate has a clinical degree and a strong academic background in community-based healthcare delivery, community and public health and program management and can effectively apply his/her expertise to the MBBS/MGHD curricula.
In addition, the CCBE is highly self-motivated and passionate about higher education, with superior attention to detail and organizational skills. The CCBE will have experience with academic and administrative tasks, have the ability to work independently as well as part of a team, and have effective communication skills. The CCBE will interact with staff at all levels and across offices, as well as external constituents. The CCBE must exhibit great discretion, handle confidential matters with the utmost care, and possess a high level of sophistication in managing complex issues.
- Assist in the design of an academically rich experience, integrating community-based healthcare and public health content, and ensuring continuity of content across multiple faculty in order to maximize student experience and to ensure students achieve desired competencies.
- Conduct literature, media, and other module reviews to develop high caliber pre-, post-, and in-class materials
- Format and execute evaluations and module assessments to ensure continuous quality improvement.
- Serve as first point of contact for students, and support them during class, field and office hours.
- Design or identify supplementary academic materials to increase learning, and facilitate in-class instruction.
- Provide feedback on student assignments, maintain student grades, track participation and attendance using the online learning management system.
CBE Program Coordination and Administration
- Manage and coordinate all program logistics, including financial management, to execute CBE modules
- Liaise with other teams at UGHE/IMB, the local community, and health care providers in the community
- Provide administrative support to the department head including scheduling and coordinating meetings for CBE team, developing agendas and presentations, and the taking of minutes.
- Assist in administrative, logistical and coordination assignments as needed
- Clinical bachelor’s degree in a health-related discipline, such as medicine, nursing or medical officer
- Master’s in Public Health or equivalent degree
- Experience in CBE is preferred
CBE Support and Management
- Minimum two years professional experience with community-based healthcare delivery in the Rwanda health system
- Experience collaborating with communities on health care projects
- Experience in program planning and management, and demonstrated skills to organize and execute logistics
- Experience working in higher education, including teaching or supporting content delivery is preferred.
- Experience in curriculum development and active learning approaches, education technology, or other innovations in higher education preferred
- Strong English writing and oral communication skills
- Exemplary interpersonal skills; ability to effectively collaborate with culturally diverse teams and communities
- Demonstrated analytical skills, good judgment, and creative problem-solving
- Fluency in Google Suite products and Microsoft Office Suite programs, including Excel and PowerPoint
- Fluency in spoken Kinyarwanda required; French language skills desirable
- Availability to work evenings and weekends
- Interest in social justice, health equity and gender equity strongly desirable
- Able to work flexible hours including evenings and weekend and; able to travel for periods lasting two weeks
University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) is a new kind of university focused on training the next generation of global leaders in health care delivery. The university launched in Rwanda in September 2015 with its flagship degree program: the Master of Science in Global Health Delivery. Through an academic experience uniquely rooted in the values of equity, students are empowered to both ease suffering at the bedside and drive transformational, systemic changes to the health system. UGHE is committed to an exceptional educational experience rooted in dynamic and engaging courses prioritizing a high degree of faculty mentorship and experience-based learning.
UGHE is an initiative of Partners In Health (PIH), an internationally recognized non-profit organization whose mission is to provide a preferential option for the poor in health care. In over nearly three decades of operating alongside public sectors in countries around the world, PIH has developed a model to deliver high quality health care to some of the world’s most marginalized communities. Nowhere has this impact been more profound than in Rwanda, where Inshuti Mu Buzima—PIH’s sister organization—and our government partners have driven innovation for a decade.
Members of the UGHE community are tenacious and resolute in our drive to attain social justice, make common cause with those in need, listen to and learn from others, and operate with honesty and humility as we uphold academic integrity and intellectual curiosity. The University of Global Health Equity seeks individuals committed to these values to join the team.
Applicants should provide: (1) a resume; (2) a cover letter; (3) names and contact information of three professional references (at least one from a supervisor) and; (4) a copy of higher education and clinical diplomas. Please upload your cover letter, references and diplomas as a single PDF file under "Additional Files" on the application page.