Financial Compliance Specialist
Position Title: Financial Compliance Specialist
Reports to: UGHE’s Director of Finance
Based: Butaro, Rwanda
Reporting to UGHE’s Director of Finance, the Financial Compliance Specialist is responsible for supporting the financial planning, budgeting, grant management, and compliance activities at the University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) based in Butaro, Rwanda. This position will work under the Director of Finance and work closely with all department of UGHE ensuring close coordination of operational planning and financial modeling, curating and sharing important financial updates, and understanding revenue pipelines and targets.
- Work with the Director of Finance to ensure that the work planning, budgeting and mid-year review processes are well orchestrated, and that data from spending trends is leveraged in future planning.
- Especially responsible for the production of grant budgets for new grant proposals together with the program team and finance staff;
- Together with the Grant Manager, initiate a quarterly review of grant spending, with an eye to lessons learned in spending trends and original budget adherence to inform future proposals;
- Coordinate monthly budget reviews with Budget Managers to analyze the actual performance vs budgeted, and establish rationale behind overspending & under spending as well as identifying any reclassification required;
- Support in processing all reclassification of items in the University’s accounting software as requested by Budget Managers;
- Provide forecasting scenarios, long-range planning and analyses for financial reporting and presentations; design and run ad hoc reports;
- Institute internal controls by reviewing all posted transactions and acting an internal checker to all accounting transactions;
- Support planning and budgeting processes for the University through liaising with all Budget Managers by providing past trends and forecasting for the new cost estimation;
- Provide support in the application of IFRS and IAS standards through review of management and financial reports;
- Manage compliance program for area of responsibility, interpret internal policy and external regulations, and create and/or review complex compliance reports in liaison with the Director of Finance;
- Review and update the financial manual with the changes in IFRS and IAS as well as with institutional (University) changes;
- Consolidate all updates and changes in IFRS, IAS and provide training to staff within the department; and,
- Identify and resolve issues with substantial financial significance; recognize exceptions, and conduct in-depth analysis to provide technical remedies and recommendations.
- Work closely with the UGHE’s academic and administrative teams to ensure that the right processes and capacities exist in order to appropriately manage the large body of work that will coincide with UGHE’s vision, mission and goals.
- Support the Director of Finance to work closely with the finance team in Boston to ensure adherence to global PIH policies
- Support the management of a portfolio of restricted government and institutional funds ensuring that regular budget versus actual spending reviews are completed and actions are taken as needed, program managers feel supported in implementation, donor reports are prepared on-time, accurately, and in compliance with all regulations, and budget modifications/reforecasts are prepared as necessary.
- Work with the UGHE financial and program staff to identify areas of growth and execute on development plans to achieve these.
- Be willing to carry out tasks and responsibilities as assigned by the Director of Finance.
- Master’s Degree in finance, accounting, or related field required.
- Certification and registration to a professional body such as ACCA or CPA required
- At least 7 years of relevant experience, preferably in health care, medical education, or international setting.
- Minimum 2 years of supervisory level experience and demonstrated ability to lead across a range of cultures, personalities, and competencies.
- Demonstrated experience in financial modelling,
- Competency developing and maintaining budgets, financial forecasts, and financial models to support program development
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite programs, Google products, and financial software, with preference for PowerBI, Serenic, and Vena.
- Demonstrated competence in assessing priorities and managing a variety of activities in a time-sensitive environment.
- Ability to make decisions based on data findings.
- Exemplary interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, start-up environment leading new initiatives
- Flexibility and adaptability
- Ability to effectively collaborate with culturally diverse staff across departments and countries
- Exemplary written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated strategic thinking and analytical skills.
- Good judgment, and creative problem-solving
- Possess diplomatic instincts, ability to gracefully and humbly work within challenging professional contexts requiring tact and judgment
University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) is a new kind of university focused on training the next generation of global leaders in health care delivery. The university launched in Rwanda in September 2015 with its flagship degree program: The Master of Science in Global Health Delivery. Through an academic experience uniquely rooted in the values of equity, students are empowered to both ease suffering at the bedside and drive transformational, systemic changes to the health system. UGHE is committed to an exceptional educational experience rooted in dynamic and engaging courses prioritizing a high degree of faculty mentorship and experience-based learning.
UGHE is an initiative of Partners In Health (PIH), an internationally recognized non-profit organization whose mission is to provide a preferential option for the poor in health care. In over nearly three decades of operating alongside public sectors in countries around the world, PIH has developed a model to deliver high quality health care to some of the world’s most marginalized communities. Nowhere has this impact been more profound than in Rwanda, where Inshuti Mu Buzima—PIH’s sister organization—and our government partners have driven innovation for a decade.
Members of the UGHE community are tenacious and resolute in our drive to attain social justice, make common cause with those in need, listen to and learn from others, and operate with honesty and humility as we uphold academic integrity and intellectual curiosity. The University of Global Health Equity seeks individuals committed to these values to join the team.
Partners In Health, and its subsidiaries including the University of Global Health Equity, is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.