Email Marketing Manager
Title: Manager, Email Marketing
Reports to: Director, Digital Engagement and Response
Required Travel: Occasional International travel. Domestically, 2-3x/year to attend conferences and meetings
The Manager of Email Marketing plans, develops and manages all aspects of the email marketing program within the digital team, with the two main priorities: 1) growing unrestricted revenue primarily at the $1-10,000 level and 2) keeping the current base engaged with the PIH mission. In close collaboration with Development’s Individual Giving team, s/he manages the strategy, production and execution of email campaigns for both new donor acquisition on email channels and ongoing cultivation efforts, writes compelling fundraising messages, builds them in mass communication tools, and implements various tests to maximize fundraising potential. S/he also reports back on campaigns and test results with recommendations for improvements going forward.
S/he works under the direction of the Director of Digital Engagement and Response and works in close collaboration with the Development group to align fundraising efforts within the broader Individual Giving segment. S/he also works closely with the other Marketing and Communications teams to make sure email fundraising content is consistent with other PIH messaging decisions.
Management, Strategy and Implementation
- Responsible for all PIH email fundraising strategy and work, including emails, updates, donation requests, email invitations and advocacy messages.
- Serves as primary relationship manager with digital agency for this channel.
- Develops and implements an email calendar and coordinates production and approval processes.
- Oversees the creation of and manages the approval process for email messages and other digital pieces, such as donate pages and signup pages. Builds, checklists, segments, and sends email messages using appropriate digital tools. Ensures accuracy, correct segmentation and daisy chain sequencing. Tracks results and shares metrics with broader Development and Communications teams.
- Collaborates with other teams to plan cross-channel campaigns by providing channel-specific tactical recommendations
- Works with internal teams and agency partners to develop custom onboarding series based on available audience segmentation data.
- Manages day-to-day budget allocated to agency partner related to email marketing program
- Manages and reports on all list health indicators and provides recommendations to improve revenue KPIs such as retention of existing donors, conversion of non-donors, and recapture of lapsed audiences.
- Collaborates with other teams within the Marketing and Communications group to share content and ensure consistency of messaging and presentation among communication streams and across PIH platforms.
- Uses available data analytics, reporting, and industry information to set annual fundraising targets for the Email channel.
- Supervises the work of the Digital Communications and Support Coordinator, providing mentorship and management to grow the skills and capacity of the Coordinator.
- Participates in regular Individual Giving campaign meetings. Contributes to campaign development with creative ideas and tactics.
- Writes and edits other direct response and donor communications as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree and 5 years of experience in a digital communications role with a focus on revenue growth and new donor acquisition or relevant experience.
- Excellent command of the English language.
- Superlative digital writing and editing skills and experience collaborating with designers to produce high quality promotional and informational content.
- Updated understanding of digital channel trends and best practices, and commitment to applying to PIH specific context
- Strong computer skills, including fluency in Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, and online communication tools (e.g., mass email software and web content creation and management, including basic html)
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills, including good judgment, political astuteness, and tact. Proven ability to collaborate with diverse colleagues.
- Resourcefulness and excellent follow-through. Ability to work under pressure, complete writing projects quickly, and juggle competing priorities.
- Ability to travel internationally to project sites as needed.
- Commitment to global health and social justice.