Director of Operations
Position Title: Director of Operations
Reports to: Executive Director
Location: Harper (with visits to other sites)
Employment Type: Full Time
The Director of Operations is crucial to ensure that PIH Liberia effectively and efficiently run operations in Liberia. The Operations Director will be a system builder who oversees operations functions in both Monrovia and Harper, including Supply Chain, Infrastructure-Maintenance, Security, Fleet Management, IT, and Staff Administration. With guidance from the Executive Director and Deputy Executive Director, he/she will partner with clinical and programmatic teams to achieve the
Organizational strategic goals more efficiently.
The Director of Operations is responsible for designing, implementing, and managing operational systems that simplify and streamline responsibilities across functions. The role requires regular coordination and communication with departments and senior leadership, as well as proficiency in budget management and audit compliance, systems building and operational forecasting. The Director of Operations has a key leadership role in departmental and staff mentoring / capacity building to intensify operational performance and output.
System and Capacity Building (40%):
- Designs and implements clear organizational operations structures and teams.
- Recruits, mentors and designs capacity building systems among the operations staff with clear focus of growing and maintaining talents.
- Understands the immediate-term and long-term operational strategy, in order to ensure the supply chain and operations infrastructure appropriately enables that strategy.
- Works with the Finance Director and the Executive Leadership to access and understand PIHL risks exposure and design strategies to minimize these risks.
- Partners closely with Boston based International Operations team to coordinate and harmonize international supply chain operations with national organizational activities
- Provides in-country coordination for large purchases, alongside the Boston-based operations and clinical team, including international procurement.
- Developing /reviewing protocols/policies/guidelines for standardizing daily operating procedures.
- Oversees and harmonizes efficient cross-site Liberia operations systems including supply chain and distribution, fleet management, maintenance and logistics.
- Constantly review supply chain processes & systems from procurement to warehousing and distribution; and take steps to ensure operations efficiency and value for money
- Design and conduction market surveys that ensure PIH Liberia procurement is compliant with National Laws and get value for money in prices and quality at all time
- Implements procedures to track and maintain high value assets, including medical equipment and vehicles.
- Oversees infrastructure and capital projects in Liberia.
- Fosters development of IT organization to support growing and evolving operational dependencies on technology.
- Oversees overall safety, security of PIH staff, assets, properties, including design and implementation of systems as well as execution of emergency preparedness plan and crisis management
- Designs and implement systems for everyday staff and clinical operations -- staff and patient travel/accommodations, communications and a like
- Takes responsibility for operations budget management.
- Work closely with County Health Teams (CHT) and Health Facility Administration to understand systems and work together to trouble shoot and identify operations gaps. Develop and build strong collaboration with the Ministry of Health to address these operations gaps
- Participate in the CHTs Annual Operations Planning to understand how the CHT operations costs shift to clinical and operations priorities.
Space Improvements (35%)
- Liaise with clinical and organizational leadership to design, prioritize, and execute on annual capital and large infrastructure projects.
- Works with Executive Leadership and CHT on proper strategies and mechanisms to ensure infrastructures projects are adequately budgeted for and inflected in CHT’s and PIH financial plans.
- Ensure that infrastructure projects reflect broader participation from the communities and comply to the relevant Government Agencies regulations.
- Oversees construction projects design/implementation processes; ensure projects adhere to budget/timeframe/quality on deliverables.
Stuff and Social Support Efficiency (15%)
- Design and implement strong warehouse and supply Chain processes that reduces under and over stocking of clinical supplies.
- Works with Clinical and Executive leadership to ensure that PIH has all the operational permits for clearing and inputs of clinical consumables for our “bosses” – the patients.
- Works with Clinical and Program Teams to ensure PIH Liberia’s social support has operation efficiency that is patient care friendly that delivers value for money for the organization.
Strategy & Relationships (10%)
- Serves on Executive Leadership team, to participate in strategic planning activities within the organization that guide our programming
- Works with Executive Leadership Team to ensure PIH strategy plans and operations plans address the operation efficiency and effectiveness issues.
- Serves as senior operations external liaison such as suppliers, service providers and negotiate all large-scale contracts with contractors
- Liaise with CHO and Health Facility on regular base
- Attend any governmental sessions when applicable
- Work with local NGO / INGO and communities when relevant
Qualifications and Key Success Factors:
- Minimum of Five years of administration or operations experience, preferably in international projects, with demonstrated increasing responsibility.
- Strong ability to manage and empower a diverse team focuses on many priorities.
- Experience managing budgets and financials.
- Comfort with ambiguity, shifting priorities, and need to juggle competing demands in a fast-paced and challenging work environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strategic Thinking and ability to work in fragile states and diverse communities.
- Strong organizational skills and operational and business analytics thinking.
- Proven ability to exercise good judgment, demonstrate political astuteness, and tact.
- Prior experience working in Africa and in resource-poor settings, a plus.
- Sense of humor and flexible disposition very helpful.
- Interest in social justice and health care issues.
- Culturally sensitive and context minded and ability to listen well
- Ability to live in Harper, Liberia full-time required.
Commitment to Prevention of Sexual Exploitation, Abuse and Sexual Harassment:
At Partners in Health, we are committed to ensuring that those who benefit from our work- including our patients, families and community members – as well as our staff are treated with dignity and respect and protected from sexual exploitation, abuse and sexual harassment. A range of pre-employment checks will be undertaken in conformity with Partner in Health’s PSEAH policy. Partner in Health will request information from applicants’ previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment.
Partners In Health (PIH) is an international health organization relentlessly committed to improving the health of the poor and marginalized. PIH partners with local governments to build local capacity and works closely with impoverished communities to deliver high-quality health care, address the root causes of illness, train providers, advance research, and advocate for global policy change.
PIH currently has implementation programs in Haiti, Rwanda, Lesotho, Liberia, Kazakhstan, Malawi, Peru, Mexico, Russia, Sierra Leone and Navajo Nation. Through our partnership with Harvard Medical School and the Brigham and Women’s Hospital, we support a wide range of programs in dozens of other countries around the world.
Partners In Health (PIH) is committed to the fundamental principle of equal opportunity and equal treatment for every prospective and current employee. It is the policy of PIH not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, religion, creed, disability, sex and gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law. PIH works in and with a number of governments in and outside the U.S., and to the extent applicable, this statement is intended to incorporate the prohibition of any unlawful discrimination covered by applicable laws in such countries, states and municipalities.
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Deadline for the submission of application is February 1st, 2023 at 4:30 pm. The recruitment processes will be ongoing while receiving applications”.